Source for replacement fuel tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ALR

Source for replacement fuel tank

Postby ALR » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I am considering the purchase of a 1996 17' Dauntless DC to replace my 1984 17' Montauk. The fuel tank on the Dauntless that I am looking at is shot. It has been leaking for some time and the present owner has been using deck tanks. I don't want to do that. According to the BW diagrams, the tank is part 12-H684-00 (I have seen it listed as 39 or 40 gallons).

Give me suggestions where I can get a replacement tank.

I have been quoted a price of $1,200 to have a new aluminium tank made, but I am reluctant to spend that much.

I might be interested in polythylene or even a smaller tank.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Give advice whether I should make this switch.

Should I just continue with my Montauk?

Phil T

Re: Source for replacement fuel tank

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Depending on your location in the US, that is a reasonable price. I would expect prices in CA to be higher, Florida lower.

A smaller tank will not save you significant money.

Is the existing tank plastic? If so, there is no replacement available. Each model has a unique shape that was custom. A custom plastic tank would require a new mould.

If the existing tank is aluminum, there is a chance it was made by FMT in Henderson, NC and is still available. It would cost a similar amount without the drop shipping that can be expensive when delivered farther than 500 miles from the factory.

On the topic of the Dauntless vs Montauk, the 17 DC model was not produced in large volumes and is not very popular. There are other DC models that have more advantages over a classic Montauk.

It all depends on what you consider the advantages of the 17 Dauntless DC over the classic Montauk 17.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

ALR

Re: Source for replacement fuel tank

Postby ALR » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks Phil. It is always helpful to get another's viewpoint. I know that they stopped making the DC Dauntless but it seems like that configuration lived on in the Ventura line. The tank is aluminum and I will see what I can find out from FMT. I am in the Midwest and don't use my Montauk for any serious fishing - mostly cruising around our chain of lakes with my wife and/or playing on the water with kids and grandkids.