Anchor Light Solution with Full Canvas

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
VKR

Anchor Light Solution with Full Canvas

Postby VKR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:29 pm

I am interested in an anchor light solution for use while sleeping aboard my Outrage 18 under full Mills canvas. I prefer to not cut an opening in the Mills Flying Top to accommodate the existing console anchor light location.

Secondly, I could replace the standard stern light with an all-around anchor light on a seven foot or longer pole, but I don’t want to have to store that longer pole. Any innovative solutions already being used by other members? Possibly an LED anchor light on a short pole mounted to a piece of starboard that would simply rest on top of the Fling Top?

I'm looking forward to your innovative solutions.

jimh

Re: Anchor Light Solution with Full Canvas

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm

The best solution is to have a beautiful custom made arch built to your specifications which will be above the canvas Flying Top. Onto this arch you mount a white all-round lamp to be the anchor light. You can also mount the bases of VHF Marine Band radio antennas, a RADAR, rod holders, and a flag staff holder.

Off course there are drawbacks, and first among them is the cost. Two other serious problems are tied for second place: finding a real artisan craftsman to do the work; letting him have the boat for several weeks so he can build the arch. Another consideration is increased air draft for the boat, both on the water and on the trailer.

A simpler approach: there is no requirement that the anchor light must be shown from the stern or the transom or amidships. You can show it near the bow. A battery LED lamp attached to a bow railing would work.

macfam

Postby macfam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 pm

I’ve almost bought on of these several times, and still might decide before this season ends.
Appear to be a good solution and high quality.
Take a look: http://www.navisafe.com/

VKR

Postby VKR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:22 am

Jim, given the cost, I'm going to hold off on the arch until I get that bigger outrage. I must say the arch would solve many mounting problems on the boat and appreciate the insight.

macfam, I do like your Navisafe Navilight 360 degree (2 NM) LED battery operated light find. The battery powered all around light would be perfect for my situation and my limited storage. I noticed they have a "Spare Magnetic Base" option. This may work well to just place the light on top of the Flying Top and hold it in place with the "Spare Magnetic Base" being placed on the inside of the Flying Top. However, it may be better to have it elevated a few inches above the canvas for improved visibility and less light entering the canvas. They also have a nice "Clamp On Rail Mount" solution. I like this solution for the bow rail (as Jim suggested) and it's not too expensive. Although I would prefer having greater height for safety reasons. I do see they have poles that can be used to add height.

Thanks !

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:13 am

The NAVILIGHT 360-degree white lamp used as an anchor light only has a 15-hour burn time on its internal three AAA batteries. It would last only two nights.

VKR

Postby VKR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Yes, not the greatest burn time, but I can live with that for how many times I sleep on board versus dealing with a lengthy wired solution and additional storage space.

I do see Navisafe has another all around light solution referred to as the "Navisafe Polelight Pack" (2 NM visibility). It has an improved burn time of 48 to 56 hours and uses 4 AA batteries.

Nice product offerings.

macfam

Postby macfam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:08 am

I get AA and AAA batteries at Costco. Good and Cheap
2 nights, then replace.
That will be the cheapest thing ever compared to other boating costs.
Sounds fine to me.