Need Links to a Transom Plate

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jamesnovak

Need Links to a Transom Plate

Postby jamesnovak » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:24 pm

[The transom of a 1970 SPORT 13]I am restoring f]eels sturdy, but the effects of multiple engines installed and removed linger.

Has an aluminum plate ever been put on the transom [of a 1970 SPORT13]?

[I do not mean] a jack plate. [I mean] something that fits snuck [snug] on the transom.

[I am c]urious [because] the transom is curved.

[The aluminum plate I ask about above ] would have to be purpose built for [a 1970 SPORT 13] boat.

[Give me] links to find [a pre-made curved aluminum transom plate for a 1970 SPORT 13 boat] online. Thanks.

Phil T

Re: Need Links to a Transom Plate

Postby Phil T » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:47 pm

A search of the archives of ContinuousWave finds this thread:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/021045.html

I think the notion of adding a transom plate is applicable to boats fabricated with wood or metal structural components, i.e stringers. These materials and methods are not present in classic Boston Whalers. The structure of the hull is fiberglass and bonded foam.

The multiple layers of plywood in the transom are encapsulated in fiberglass and integrated into the exterior and interior skin. Typically any structural deficiency in the hull, ie. transom, floor, gunwale, would be repaired by removing the damaged fiberglass and reapplying fabric and resin.

If you do a search of the archives, you will find dozens of threads on transom rebuilds.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:01 am

I recall a fellow selling aluminum brackets for older 13-footers with the notched 15-inch transom that would raise them to 20-inch transom. The company was KENTFAB ENGINEERING.

Older low-horsepower outboard engines often did not have a transom mounting bracket with large flat areas running between the two outer sides. Only a small portion of the bracket would actually bear onto the transom. I don’t think small engines with that type mount were a problem with the 13-footer.

If you think about it, why would Boston Whaler make a small boat whose transom needed to be immediately modified to accommodate an outboard engine? I think they did not make that boat—the boat they made worked fine with engines of that same era. The problem occurs with modern outboard engines that have mounting brackets that require the boat to have a flat transom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 am

I like the suggestion to fabricate wood shims. Use hardwood and coat with epoxy.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 am

While the linked article references shims, the OP is looking at adding structural strength to the entire transom.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:07 pm

The best way to find links to information already on-line is to use a search engine. BING is a very good choice for searching CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM.

A search engine has millions of website contents indexed. Searching with a search engine is more effective than asking people for search results.

For example, here is a link to BING that searches CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM for the arguments “curved transom mounting plate”

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Site%3aco ... ORM=HDRSC1