Alternative Hatch for Aft Well on OUTRAGE and REVENGE

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Vance's Revenge

Alternative Hatch for Aft Well on OUTRAGE and REVENGE

Postby Vance's Revenge » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:57 pm

The original mahogany [hatch cover on the aft cockpit live well on OUTRAGE and REVENGE boats] had no seal. On my 1980 Revenge 22 I quickly realized I did not like [the unsealed hatch on the aft cockpit live well].

whaler pic fish box cover painted-final open.jpg
Fig. 1. Hatch open
whaler pic fish box cover painted-final open.jpg (79.06 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

I used 3/16-inch thick aluminum sheet in order to be be strong enough and low enought to prevent a trip hazard. Tools were skill saw, a jig saw, and file to make the hatch, and card stock paper to make a pattern.

There two flush mount waterproof latches and weather stripping for the seal.

The result is a modern looking hatch that doesn't seem to leak at all.

Whaler pic fish box cover painted-Final closed.jpg
Fig. 2. Hatch open.
Whaler pic fish box cover painted-Final closed.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

credditt

Re: Alternative Hatch for Aft Well on OUTRAGE and REVENGE

Postby credditt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Nice work. That looks great. Much better than the starboard hatches I've been considering.

Vance's Revenge

Re: Alternative Hatch for Aft Well on OUTRAGE and REVENGE

Postby Vance's Revenge » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you!
I originally looked at the aftermarket hatches as well. Finally gave up because I couldn't find anything that would fit without cutting and modifying the deck.

This was way easier, but I did find that the first time I put the weather stripping too close to the hinges and the door pushed it to the point that it rolled. I removed it and installed a new one closer to the edge of the opening and it worked all season without fail. Just simple $10.00 weather stripping from Home Depot.

Doesn't seem to leak water off the deck into it at all. I use it as a fish box with ice but it actually could work as an underfloor ice chest.
A much better system than the original wood drop in door!