1991 OUTRAGE 19 Rub Rail and Rear Bench Seat

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Will

1991 OUTRAGE 19 Rub Rail and Rear Bench Seat

Postby Will » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:43 am

I am in the process of updating my 1991 19 Outrage. I have reached out to Barbour Plastics about the availability of a rub rail, I see Specialty Marine offers them as well.

Tell me your experience with the Specialty Marine rub rail.

I have a rear bench seat that I believe came from Specialty Marine. The wood in the seat bottom is rotten. I am planning to rebuild it

Tell me if you have repaired this seat using synthetic material instead of wood.

I have reached out to Anderson Manufacturing about the availability of the OEM upholstery

Q1: How many yards are needed to recover the rear bench seat?

Suggest an upholstery shop in either the Baltimore or Deltaville, Virginia area.

The stainless legs on the seat are corroded and the bottoms are rusty.

Q2: Can rusting stainless steel be restored?

Q3: If so, who does that type of work?

Thanks to all in advance.

Will

biggiefl

Re: Rub Rail and Rear Bench Seat Questions

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:45 am

PVC board can be used and will not rot.

If legs are corroded and rusty they are not stainless.

If they have minor stuff on them: soak in vinegar to remove.

Q4: the upholstery bad or just the wood rotten?

If upholstery is bad, just have Anderson send you a whole seat.

Specialty, Whaler, and Barbour plastics rubrails are all made by Barbour plastics.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Will

Postby Will » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank You

Yes, the legs are corroded.

Q5: Is there any way the steel can be stripped and possibly powder coated?

Q6: If so, what type of company does that work?

[In the seat that is believed to be a Specialty Marine seat] the wood is rotten and the upholstery is in bad shape. My thought is to rebuild it myself and have it reupholstered. That will be cheaper than a new seat—definitely cheaper when you consider shipping.

Q7: Am I wrong?

Thank you for the info on the rub rail.

Will

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:40 pm

The seats are not cheap nor cheap to ship. I bought one years ago for my Outrage and never installed it and then had to ship it again. I personally do not care for stern seats on a boat that size, too much weight back there. If I need more than room for four, I put a couple deck chairs back there.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Will

Postby Will » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 pm

I agree. I took out the RPS and stern bench and put in a lean post several years ago. I prefer to stand and love the room. However, wife and daughter (and dog) miss having comfortable places to sit in the stern.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Have you thought about bean bag chairs for marine use. People rave about them.

Phil T

Re: 1991 OUTRAGE 19 Rub Rail and Rear Bench Seat

Postby Phil T » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am

Specialty Marine offers many reproduction products that are less that OEM quality at OEM prices.

For cushions and seating, Anderson's is the OEM replacement supplier offering OEM matching vinyl and handcrafted quality. Each item is made to order so there will be wait for shipment.

Rubrail can be sourced from your local whaler dealer's parts department or Hamilton Marine.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003