PVC Drain tube

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ollie366

PVC Drain tube

Postby ollie366 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:31 pm

I restore 13 ft Boston Whalers and replacing the lower drain tube is always a challenge due to the angles and it has a finite life due to the brass. I figured there has to be a better way.
I tried a number of approaches but the following is what I think is the best way. It uses 1/2" PVC 13.5 SDR tubing, which has an 0.84" OD. $3 at Lowes. Easily formed with a heat gun, so it's easy to accommodate the transom and splashwell angles. I use a 0.75" "motorwell" drain fitting at each end which nicely fits into the PVC once it's heated from Amazon, about $10. The other part is large stainless washers that are lined with neoprene to finish off the ends, from McMaster about $9.
Quick steps after the brass is removed
1. cut the pvc to the rough length needed plus a few inches.
2. heat the middle of the tube with the heat gun to bend to allow for the angles - have it go from the transom to the well and bend the well end so it goes thru the hole
3. cut the motorwell fitting ratcheted tube in half and insert it into the smaller diameter moterwell flange piece. Put on the stainless washer so it butts against the flange.
4. heat the end of the tube and insert the flange tube into the end. Rotate the flange tube as you push it about 1/2" into the softened pvc tube. Heat it again until soft and insert into the transom end and have it stick out the well end. push on the transom flange piece while soft and have it and the washer conform to the transom.
5. check the angle the well pvc tube and insure it's perpendicular to the inside of the well. if not, take it out and heat it to get the right angle.
6. cut the pvc tube so that when the ratchet tube is inserted into the heated pvc tube, it extends about 1/4" beyond the face of the well.
7. using 4200 or equivalent, seal the ratchet tubes into the pvc tubes (both ends) Seal the washer onto the transom flange using 4200.
8. after it sets up, insert it into the transom hole and check the alignment, using the heat gun to make adjustments.
9. put the washer on the well flange and use 4200 to seal it to the flange. put 4200 onto the neoprene part of the washer
10. push the flange/washer onto the ratchet tube that sticks out of the well and seat the flange and washer against the wall of the well.
Attached pics show the assembly before installing and the washer/flange combo.
Nice tight tube and it should last forever!

tube assembly.jpg
Fig. 1. Please add a caption.
tube assembly.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
flange w washer.jpg
Fig. 2. Please add a caption.
flange w washer.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
back of washer.jpg
Fig. 3. Please add a caption.
back of washer.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1790 times

ollie366

Re: PVC Drain tube

Postby ollie366 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:42 pm

transom tube.jpg
Fig. 4. Please add a caption. The only object in focus is a cart in the background.
transom tube.jpg (232.58 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Completed the drain tube. Came out great and is easy to do!

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 am

What size plug fits it?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

ollie366

Postby ollie366 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 pm

[The diameter of the plug to fit the drains seen above is] 7/8[-inch, ]but the rubber needs to be sanded a bit to get good insertion and tight fit. I used a [DREMEL tool with a] sanding cylinder [to alter the diameter of the rubber plug].