Repair Shop in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, or Pennsylvania for Fuel Tank and Teak Repairs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
PeterSS

Repair Shop in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, or Pennsylvania for Fuel Tank and Teak Repairs

Postby PeterSS » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 am

[Recommend a repair facility that at] a semi-reasonable cost [can perform BOTH the replacement of a fuel tank and refinishing of the teak] in the TriState Area [which was later defined as being in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, or Pennsylvania]. Thank you.

BACKSTORY. I have a 1989 Outrage 22. I plan to replace the fuel tank. My engine has actually gotten debris clogging the fuel filters over the summer. I fear [the source of the debris in the fuel is] the fuel tank degrading.

I [also want the teak refinished].

Jefecinco

Debris in fuel fiter

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am

A little debris in the fuel filters is not a symptom of a degrading fuel tank. It is more likely caused by adding dirty fuel to the tank. How often do you inspect the filers? If the filters were clogged to the point the engine was starved for fuel you may want to consider adding an above deck aftermarket fuel filter with a see-through bowl to your boat so you can service the filter before the engine is affected. Otherwise, replace the clogging fuel filters and enjoy your boat.
Butch

biggiefl

How to finish teak

Postby biggiefl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:26 am

Teak should not be varnished in my opinion, just oil. If they are bubbling, your process is not correct and it is not adhering. Do you thin the first coat or two? That is a major point with varnish and wood. I thin mine with Penetrol by 10%.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Re: Definition of TriState area; Vendors with multiple skills.

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Where is "the TriState" area? You should not assume all readers understand this somewhat oblique geographic reference.

Finding one vendor the does mechanical work and engine rigging work like replacing a fuel tank and also does high-end marine wood refinishing may be difficult. Those two skills are generally not found in the same person.

As I understand your inquiry, you are not asking for advice on either project, just a recommendation for a single vendor to provide both services.

biggiefl

Re: Meaning of TriState

Postby biggiefl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm

TriState area is usually NY, NJ, & PA but it can be for any demographic region.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

PeterSS

Re: Repair Shop in TriState Area With Multiple Talents

Postby PeterSS » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:31 pm

I have always liked the varnished teak, and I have been varnishing teak on boats for 25 years.

In the current wood moisture [has gotten] in from underneath. [Under a] cover over the winter, [the moisture] gets hot and bubbles up.

I would ideally like teak sealed with North systems epoxy and then varnished with a two par, which professionals I have talked to say would make keeping the bright work bright much easier.

The Try State area is typically CT, NY, NJ, but MA, PA as well.

From reading this forum over the years, I thought it was sort of standard that the fuel tank needed to be replaced after 25 years If not, that is great. Thank you for advice.

jimh

Re: Repair Shop in TriState Area With Multiple Talents

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the clarification that the "Try State" or TriState area consists of five states: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. I emended the TOPIC of the thread to reflect that.

jimh

Should Teak Be Varnished

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 am

NEW TOPIC: SHOULD TEAK BE VARNISHED
biggiefl wrote:Teak should not be varnished in my opinion

PeterSS wrote:I have always liked the varnished teak, and I have been varnishing teak on boats for 25 years.

Please start a new thread to discuss whether teak wood on a Boston Whaler should be varnished. That topic would be best in THE GAM.

The TOPIC of this thread is where to find a vendor in the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, or Pennsylvania who is skilled in replacement of a fuel tank and also skilled in refinishing teak, particularly using North systems epoxy.