Sanding Non-Skid for refinishing

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MikeinMA

Sanding Non-Skid for refinishing

Postby MikeinMA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 am

[This post seeks advice on how to sand the cockpit deck of a c.1970 13-footer without damaging the non-skid.]

BACKSTORY
I just started a restoration [of a 1970 13-footer]. The [the laminate of the cockpit deck] is in good condition, but it needs be be refinished. I was going to sand the rough spots and fill a few holes, The fit-and-finish of the [cockpit deck] is in great condition considering it's 50 years old. I notice the center of the [cockpit deck] has texture [non-skid] which I assume in molded into the [gel coat resin of the top coat of the laminate].

I was planning to use a soft wire disc instead of sandpaper so I don't damage the texture.

ASIDE: New member, this place is great.

Jefecinco

Re: Sanding Non-Skid for refinishing

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 am

I would not sand nor wire brush the deck nonskid. Use a strong cleaner like Simple Green and a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean it. Consider compounding the deck followed by a polishing and wax. Our old Boston Whaler gel coats clean up amazingly well.
Butch

MikeinMA

Postby MikeinMA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:19 am

That makes sense, would cleaning be enough to accept paint? I have never painted a boat so my though process is preparing furniture for refinish.

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:46 am

The standard advise, which I agree with, is "don't paint the non-skid." Paint will fill in the depressions, ruining its non-skid properties, and it won't look or wear in a uniform way.
Last edited by Tom Hemphill on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:09 pm

The "texture" you describe in center area of the cockpit deck of your c.1970 13-footer is called non-skid. The non-skid is created in the gel coat layer when the boat is laid up into a female contact mold. The purpose of non-skid is to afford better traction on wet surfaces.

There is no was to use any sort of sandpaper or wire disc sander on the non-skid without deteriorating the non-skid.

As recommended above, a very thorough cleaning of the non-skid should remove most of the dirt and debris.

I sometimes use a soft plastic tool to run along the grooves of the non-skid pattern to help loosen dirt that has become very strongly adhered to the non-skid. You can make a tool with the cheap plastic eating utensils you get with take-out foot. The tines of plastic fork are useful as miniature scrapers.

A stiff bristle brush and a strong detergent helps.

Some participants report using an oxalic acid cleaner like BAR KEEPER'S FRIEND is helpful. I would try that in a diluted form first before just sprinkling it on everywhere.