Best Varnish

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Marlinmate

Best Varnish

Postby Marlinmate » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:36 am

What varnish is best?
I fix reels. I build rods. I tinker. Now apparently, I fix boats.

jimh

Re: Best Varnish

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 am

Please read many opinions as found in this LINK.

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 pm

My choice is Pettit Flagship with the most UV inhibitors. Spectacular results. Long lasting.
Plan on numerous coats. 6 minimum in salt water environs. I did a base of 9, and one or two more for several years.

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Best can be determined by different factors.

On some of my work I used Totalboat Halcyon because of the ability to put up to 5 coats in one day. On other parts of the boat I used traditional oil based Spar varnish. I have to say if I study the finished product the oil base came out looking best, but if I do it again I will use the Totalboat Halcyon because of the ease. I know where to look and can tell, but nobody else has seemed to notice the difference in the finished product.

Someone [once] posted to stain first. I tried it and found that to be the best process. For best results, I found it necessary to use a stain sealer before the varnish.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:50 am

"Best varnish" is a subjective question. Over the past 40 years I've tried many and formulations have also changed in the time as well. I am currently a big fan of Epifanes clear that has a high level of UV inhibitors. The trick with any varnish is many layer and once you are in the seven-or-more-coas region the wood is very well sealed and protected, and its upkeep is minimal. The biggest error people make is applying too few coats. The varnished gets compromised and the wood gets wet and weathers, which then requires a significant amount of work to correct.

In my next project that involves varnish I will use Awlgrip ALWOOD, which is highly regarded product.

D-

Marlinmate

Postby Marlinmate » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Has anyone used the Petit EZ-Poxy Performance Enhancer 3021 in their varnish process? Claims of the varnish being harder and glossier intrigue me.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 am

Marlinmate wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Has anyone used the Petit EZ-Poxy Performance Enhancer 3021 in their varnish process? Claims of the varnish being harder and glossier intrigue me.

The name is deceiving with EZ-Poxy, it sounded like it was more inteneded for epoxy based paints. It's sounds like a standard accelerator and I generally try to stay away from things like that. Having a varnish that's too hard may not be ideal as the varnish must "move" with the wood as there's movement based on mositure content and temp of the wood and I'm jut thinking winter storage here can hit single digits and wood in the sun can see well over 100F temps. Just my opinion of course.

D-

Marlinmate

Postby Marlinmate » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:27 pm

That makes logical sense. Reading the advertised label says its formulated for varnish too? I'll probably avoid it this time and If I ever have to redo my woodwork, may try it