13-footer Seating Placement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Marlinmate

13-footer Seating Placement

Postby Marlinmate » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:58 pm

I'm sure this is out there, but my search [results] are coming up short.

Is there a diagram showing the original placement and measurements of the seats [on a 13-footer][?].
I fix reels. I build rods. I tinker. Now apparently, I fix boats.

jimh

Re: 13-footer Seating Placement

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:46 am

I am sure Boston Whaler used such a diagram when building the classic 13-footers. The seat placement on 13-foot hulls varied with the model. Boats intended to use tiller steering placed the thwart seat closer to the transom. Boats intended to be used with a remote steering wheel placed the thwart seat farther from the transom.

The thwart seats were made from 5/4 planks, thus about 1-inch thick. The length was long enough to span the cockpit and sit on the lip in the inwale. In later models the thwart seats were slightly longer so the could be fastened with screws atop the seat riser. The seat width was 12-inches or so. If suitable lumber were available you could make a wider seat if desired.

All diagrams available on CONTINUOUSWAVE are listed in the REFERENCE section at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... wings.html

Marlinmate

Postby Marlinmate » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 am

I'll clarify. I'm putting in a Super Sport interior and remote steering.

What is the stock seating placement?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 am

Your plan to use remote steering with a SUPER SPORT 13 is a good choice. With the tall backrest and storage compartment of the SUPER SPORT interior, trying to use tiller steering would be very awkward.

Do you need all dimensions of all components of the SUPER SPORT seats, storage compartment, console, support brackets and so on?

Or, do you just need the fore-and-aft location of the various assembled components? And, if this is the case, perhaps you only need two measurements: the distance from the transom to the helm seat, and the distance from the transom to the console. These might be easily obtained from someone who has a 13 SUPER SPORT, and a dimensional drawing might not be necessary.

Also, you might want to alter the layout slightly to accommodate your own dimensions. It is common that dimensions like seating height or seat distance from the steering wheel are varied to suit people of different size.

Marlinmate

Postby Marlinmate » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 am

jimh wrote:Or, do you just need the fore-and-aft location of the various assembled components? And, if this is the case, perhaps you only need two measurements: the distance from the transom to the helm seat, and the distance from the transom to the console. These might be easily obtained from someone who has a 13 SUPER SPORT, and a dimensional drawing might not be necessary.

These are the exact measurements I'm looking for.

Thanks