2001 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro Oil in carbs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Iceboy149

2001 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro Oil in carbs

Postby Iceboy149 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

[Moderator’s note: the thread is seeking advice on repairs and has been moved to the REPAIRS and MODIFICATION forum.]

I bought a 2001 Johnson [200-HP] Ocean Pro engine. It seems to be in good condition, but I couldn't start it right off the bat.

I took off the carburetors to clean them, and they were loaded with oil.

After doing research I'm seeing that [the cause of oil in the carburetors can be from] either a faulty oil inlet check valve letting oil in when the engine isn't running, or a bad oil cap that's not vented and pressure build-up from sitting for a long time forcing oil up through the system. Or, a combination of the two.

Have others experienced [problems with starting an OMC Ocean Pro engine that seem to be due to build up of oil in the carburetor bowls]?

ConB

Re: 2001 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro Oil in carbs

Postby ConB » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Yes.

Maybe someone squeezed the oil line primer bulb and filled the carburetors.

Or your fuel system has an air leak and the VRO is over oiling.

There are a bunch of possibilities. You need an experienced tech to sort it out.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:00 pm

I have a 1987 Mercury 70-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine that had [problem]: the oil tank mounted under the cowl would empty over a few months.

I rebuilt the fuel pump, which also contained a new check valve, and the problem never returned. Before I did that repar, I had a very smokey outboard that was very hard to start.

Does your engine have an oil tank located under the cowl?

Is this engine new to you?

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:24 pm

No tank under the hood.

I had this problem once where someone put oil in the gas tank. It did not mix with the gas and got sucked up the fuel line and filled carbs with oil. Any chance that might have happened?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 am

If the engine has been sitting for a long time, the gasoline in the carburetor bowls will evaporate. The oil mixed into the fuel will be left behind, although it would not fill the carburetor bowls to the brim.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 am

biggiefl wrote:I had this problem once where someone put oil in the gas tank. It did not mix with the gas and got sucked up the fuel line and filled carbs with oil. Any chance that might have happened?

A really fussy fuel dock attendant at some fuel dock refused to let Larry (LHG) stay aboard the boat to hold a funnel and slowly pour in oil as the fuel attendant added gasoline to his large capacity fuel tank. Larry then poured in several quarts of oil, and left the boat. The attendant then added gasoline. The tank was really low when this refueling began, and there was not much mixing. The engines started but soon died because they were getting too much oil in the unmixed fuel.

Iceboy149

Postby Iceboy149 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas, but no it wasn't leftover oil from gas evaporating, it was an insane amount of pure oil. As in spilling all over the place when I took the 6 carbs off together it was dripping so bad I had to left them sit in a 5 gallon bucket to drain with all fuel lines attached. And the boat hadn't run in three years. As I break each fuel line loose off the fuel rail it's a mess all over the bench top and then once you get the bowl off it's just let it sit for two minutes to drain over the bucket again.

The motor is brand new to me. Estimated 600 hours. It's got to be something simple like the vent cap under pressure or a oil check valve in the VRO. My carb rebuild kits don't get here til the 11th I think....

There's no fuel in the internal tank and when I got the boat home the same day as buying it, I tried to run it on a one gallon tank of the ethanol free fuel that you buy from Home Depot and you can see it flowing through the in line fuel filter when pumping the ball but I think the bowls were already full of oil. I might just order an oil vent cap and see what happens after putting carbs back together. If that doesn't solve it maybe I'll spring for new VRO.

The VRO oil fill check valves don't come in the rebuild kits and from what I can tell is you can only get a new one in a new VRO.

Thanks again, appreciate your input!

floater

Postby floater » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 am

I had the same [situation] with my 2001 Yamaha. The third cylinder would fill with oil and the motor would barely turn over. When I removed the third cylinder’s spark plug oil would gush out, but the engine would fire up afterwards. I replaced the Oil Check Valve and the problem was solved. Good luck with your repair.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:49 am

Are you sure the PO did not do it intentionally to store the engine?

I personally would not replace the VRO, I would just premix.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).