Varnish over Epoxy

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
msrobin

Varnish over Epoxy

Postby msrobin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:27 pm

I've stripped the old varnish from all of the brightwork on my 1964 Sakonnet. I've only ever just used varnish. Are there any benefits to laying down epoxy prior to varnish? Thank You.

jimh

Re: Varnish over Epoxy

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm

Epoxy will create a very weatherproof seal of the wood.

Varnish will protect the epoxy from UV radiation.

Both outcomes are useful and beneficial.

msrobin

Postby msrobin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:37 am

Thank you. I'll give it a go.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:11 am

I recommend you try the method first on a smaller wood piece, and then assess the outcome. I have done this on some small mahogany hatches. The outcome was as anticipated, but the wood then felt more like a plastic; it became very stiff. I did that perhaps ten years ago, and the pieces look exactly the same today. They become quite durable.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:47 am

"epoxy" and "varnish" leave a lot open to chance. Specificially what brand and type of each are you considering? Some epoxies are not intended for clearcoating wood and won't stand up as well, others have special hardners designed for clear coating. I've been down this road before and wouldn't want you to put in all the effort required only to be very displeased with the results.

D-

msrobin

Postby msrobin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Hmm, might be more to it than than i thought. I have some leftover west system 105/205 epoxy and I've typically used Epifanes clear varnish.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:11 pm

msrobin wrote:Hmm, might be more to it than than i thought. I have some leftover west system 105/205 epoxy and I've typically used Epifanes clear varnish.

West makes a special hardner for clear coating that has UV protection and also is more "bubble free" because if has better flow properties to thin out when putting it down which prevents fish-eyes, ripples and waves. The most important thing is to clean the surface after the epoxy sets up. Epoxy has a thin film called amine blush and this must be removed before sanding or prepping for topcoat with varnish. This can be done with soap and water.

West hardners 205 and 206 tend to have more bubbles, less flow characteristics and cure darker for a less desirable finish.

Epifanes is a great candidate to go over the West Epoxy.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:17 am

The notion that an epoxy used as part of a finish to wood must be completely clear is somewhat arbitrary, particularly in the situation where additional top coats of varnish will be applied, unless the varnish to be used is also completely clear.

Most marine varnish I have seen has an amber hue. Some epoxy resins might also have an amber hue. The typical teak or mahogany wood used on Boston Whaler boats often has a rich amber hue. Unless you were planning to use a clear white pine board and wanted to preserve the original wood color, I don't see that using an epoxy with a completely clear finish would be mandatory in regard to the final color appearance of the wood.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:10 am

There are a number of articles in the following link from the West Suystems magazine "Epoxyworks" with tips on epoxy and varnish coating:

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/category/coating/

Regards - Don

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:59 am

DON--thanks for posting the link to WEST Systems. With regard to use of epoxy resin, you cannot get a better authoritative source than WEST Marine, since they more or less invented the use of epoxy resins in boat building many decades ago.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Jim -

If you wander through their website, and view all their Epoxyworks Magazines of past, you come away with a great amount of knowledge of their epoxy system. They also cover and dispel some old wives tales regarding epoxy. I've been a subscriber to their mag for a number of years. Even met both brothers while attending class at the factory.