1987 MONTAUK 17: Unusual Aluminum Support in Center Console for Steel Post

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
tjmpdx

1987 MONTAUK 17: Unusual Aluminum Support in Center Console for Steel Post

Postby tjmpdx » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:16 pm

In 2019 I became the proud owner of a 1987 Montauk [presumed to be a 17--please include the length designator when giving information about a Boston Whaler boat].

This particular 1987 MONTAUK has a nicely fabricated steel post bolted to the front on the center console which supported a small radar antenna. Inside the center console is a fairly heavy aluminum bracket with plates that mount to the floor and front wall of the center console. The plates are each 18-inches wide and 12 to 18-inches high.

I think the aluminum bracket inside was added to support the radar. Because the aluminum bracket takes up storage space and partially divides the storage space into three sections, I would like to remove the bracket.

[Is the large aluminum bracket in the console as described above a standard component in all 1987 MONTAUK 17 boats]?

[Is the large aluminum bracket in the console as described above] indeed [an added] extra bracket and no longer needed [if the RADAR has been removed]?

jimh

Re: 1987 MONTAUK 17: Unusual Aluminum Support in Center Console for Steel Post

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:49 pm

Was the steel post that provided a mount for the RADAR antenna also removed when the RADAR antenna was removed?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:30 pm

TJ--without seeing photos of the boat in question, I will proffer the support, backing plates, and related hardware were added by a dealer or installer as an aftermarket feature.

It is safe to remove it all and fill the holes in the fiberglass with color matched epoxy. Locktite Marine Epoxy in white cures to a color that closely matches the Desert Tan gel coat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

tjmpdx

Postby tjmpdx » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:18 am

jimh wrote:Was the steel post that provided a mount for the RADAR antenna also removed when the RADAR antenna was removed?

Yes, the steel post was removed. It was actually very well fabricated and sturdy. It was hinged in the middle so it could fold forward allow the radar dome to rest on the cooler seat cushion and allow the boat cover to still fit. But I have yet to head out into the cold stormy Oregon ocean and just don't need radar in rivers and bays (although I could have used it one day this Fall).

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:34 am

We see radar installed on many small boats of 18 feet or so here in Coastal Alabama. Fog is seldom a problem on this part of the Gulf Coast. Consequently I asked a small boat owner if he found his radar useful. He told me it was often useful for spotting flocks of birds feeding on the water. Birds feeding on the water is often the result of predator fish driving bait fish schools to the surface. If an angler can join the birds large predator fish can be easily caught just below the bait fish. He also told me he uses his radar to avoid isolated storms nearby or as an indicator that it's time to head for the trailer ramp if a large storm is approaching.
Butch