11 TENDER Plans to Change to Cable Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Lost1

11 TENDER Plans to Change to Cable Steering

Postby Lost1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 am

Hi all, I am a new guy here with an 11 TENDER. The 11 TENDER has the classic wire-rope-and-pulley steering system. I am considering changing to a rotary steering system, maybe a Safe-T QC rotary steering system.

[Question soliciting a survey has been removed. Do not ask questions that are in the form of a survey, such as "Has anyone..." Instead, please ask a direct question.--Moderator.]

[The implied content of this thread is to solicit advice about installation of a cable steering system on an 11 TENDER, in particular the SAFE-T QC rotary steering system. Please respond if you have advice to offer.--Moderator]

ASIDE: I am currently preparing the hull for new paint.

jimh

Re: 11 TENDER Plans to Change to Cable Steering

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 am

I do not have actual experience with installation of a cable steering system on an 11 TENDER, but I do suggest that you give careful consideration to how the actuator rod of a cable steering system will be anchored in place. Usually the actuator rod on a cable steering system is passed through the engine tilt tube. This requires the transom to have a straight, non-curved profile. In some smaller Boston Whaler boats the actuator for cable steering was anchored to the transom using a specialized pivoting bracket.

Fig. 1. A cable steering system with the actuator fixed to the curved transom of a small Boston Whaler boat using a pivoting bracket. In this instance the boat is an older 13-footer.

Also, use of a through-tilt-tube actuator requires the engine to have a tilt tube.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:23 pm

Aside: A TENDER model would not have steering, it would be a tiller model. The SPORT model has a side console and steering whether it is used as a tender to a yacht or not.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Lost1

Postby Lost1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks for the response's. My apologies for not following posting format. Tender or Sport? Mine has a wheel and was a tender on a large Hatteras.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 am

A Sport T/T
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).