Repainting Wood Platform

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
msrobin

Repainting Wood Platform

Postby msrobin » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm

I want to repaint the forward platform of a 1964 SAKONNET to its the original white. Previously I stripped the white paint.

[Recommend a method] to repaint the wood platform.

Q: is polyurethane topside paint good [for repainting a wood platform from a 1964 SAKONNET]?

Thanks

jimh

Re: Repainting Wood Platform

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:56 pm

Are you using the word “topside” to refer to a particular paint brand?

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Did you strip sand and seal the wood you are planning on painting?

If not, West System epoxy works as a great sealer.

Then sand and prime coat and top coat with Topsides base coat and top coat. I used Awlgrip products on mine, and it is highly durable—but expensive.

msrobin

Postby msrobin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:52 am

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've stripped and sanded most of [the wooden platform that is to be repainted]. I hadn't thought of sealing with epoxy, but will consider that.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 am

Vance's Revenge wrote:...and top coat with Topsides base coat and top coat.

When you use the word "Topsides" with a capital "T", are you referring to a particular brand of paint?

If all this talk about "topsides" or "Topsides" is about a particular brand, let's just identify that brand and make it clear.

If all this talk is about "topsides" as a nautical term for a boat deck, let's just use "deck" as in "deck paint."

If all this talk is about "topsides" as a nautical term for the sides of a boat that are above the waterline, then let's just use "hullside" as in "hullside paint" as different than a hull anti-fouling bottom paint.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:59 am

When you apply epoxy to wood to seal the wood, the seal that prevents water from passing through the epoxy into the wood will also prevent the paint from passing through the epoxy. My experience with painting wood is that the wood absorbs the paint into the wood, and this is part of the adhesion of the paint to the wood.

If you apply paint to a layer of epoxy, you should be certain that the paint you are using is going to get good adhesion to the epoxy layer. Most epoxy cures with an amine blush. Before top-coating any epoxy, the amine blush has to be removed. To remove amine blush you must scrub and wash with a detergent. Then to will need to sand the epoxy surface to roughen it so that paint can adhere to it. Then you will have clean off all the dust from sanding. Good painting is probably 90-percent preparation and primer layers.

I believe the original wooden platform we are discussing was made from pine. The platform is designed for people to walk on it. Why not paint the pine wood platform with high-quality oil-based enamel paint? That's the sort of paint that people used for a century to paint their porches. Those paints are designed for people to walk on them. AWLGRIP is usually only applied as an extremely thin top coat, and AWGRIP is really not designed to resist the abrasion of people constantly walking on it. ALWGRIP also is best applied professionally. And, as noted, is expensive.

msrobin

Postby msrobin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the confusion: I was referring to a deck paint.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 am

Vance's Revenge wrote:I used Awlgrip products on mine...

Does "mine" refer to a wooden platform for a SAKONNET foredeck?

Vance's Revenge wrote:it is highly durable—but expensive.

Does "it" refer to the durability of the repainted wooden deck for a SAKONNET or to AWLGRIP paint?

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am

jimh wrote:When you use the word "Topsides" with a capital "T", are you referring to a particular brand of paint?

"Topsides" or "topsides" is a description for application. When I capitalized it incorrectly I confused you.

I found that it is incredibly common for popular paint manufactures to list "topsides" on their container for marine paint to be utilized in this fashion. But, not all manufactures do so.

Description of "topsides paint":
Topside paint--topside paint is any paint you apply above the waterline anywhere on your boat. This includes the sides of the hull, deck, and interiors. Marine topside paints are commonly one of the following types: one-part polyurethane, two-part polyurethane, and alkyd marine enamel.
Last edited by Vance's Revenge on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:22 pm

jimh wrote:Does "mine" refer to a wooden platform for a SAKONNET foredeck?

When I said "mine" I was referring to the floor deck on my Revenge.

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:40 pm

When wood is epoxied over it is sealed and you are painting the epoxy not the wood. The epoxy is being painted, and [what was under the epoxy] really doesn't matter if it were a Sakonnet foredeck or any other deck.

I replaced the split wooden cover over my drain sump with a solid piece of plywood. I coated it with three layers of West Marine epoxy and painted it with Awlgrip to the manufacturer's specifications. This is in the corner rear of the deck in an incredibly high traffic area because I stand on it while operating my starboard side downrigger and net fish there as well.

The Awlgrip on that wood based drain sump cover and the rest of the floor has held up tremendously well

In all applications, primer and paint should be applied by the manufactures specifications including surface prep.

Awlgrip can either be [applying using] roll-and tip or [applying using a] spray. [This makes AWLGRIP] good for home projects. [AWLGRIP] is a two-part urethane. As I mentioned [AWLGRIP] is very expensive.

Before buying [AWLGRIP paint], decide whether you are going [to apply by spray or apply by roll-and-tip]. Both the primer and paint utilize different reducers for the different applications.

I also used Awlgrip for painting over aluminum, and the outcome was amazing. [Painting AWLGRIP over aluminum] requires a specific Alwgrip-brand prime coat [in order to] adhere to the aluminum--which it then does incredibly well.

I used [AWGRIP paint] on:
  • 1/4-inch aluminum panels I installed on both sides of the transom for additional strength
  • 1-inch-thick Aluminum plate I installed as a raised mount for my [auxiliary engine], and
  • on 1/4-inch Aluminum angle for downrigger mount brackets.

Awlgrip products worked incredibly well on the restoration of my Revenge. I feel [AWLGRIP] would work equally as well on the Sakonnet foredeck.

While we are on the subject of deck paint, one product that I used and did not meet my expectations was Kiwi Grip non-skid. I don't recommend that on any deck. It looks nice at first but doesn't clean well.

Note: When the term "paint" was used and not "varnish, I understood the question was for something other than a clear topcoat over wood.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks for the treatise on AWLGRIP paint, and how well it can work with use of the specialized resin and hardener two-part components that are specific to the underlying surface being painted. From that I infer when you said "it held up" you were talking about the paint.

ASIDE: it is best to not use pronouns like "it" and "mine" when there are not clear antecedent nouns.

Re capitalization: yes, capitalizing the "T" in "Topsides" confused me. I was not clear if you were talking about a generic term or a product brand name.

Vance's Revenge wrote:When I said "mine" I was referring to the floor deck on my Revenge.

Vance's Revenge wrote:Awlgrip products ...would work equally as well on the Sakonnet foredeck.

Also, the object being painted in this thread is not the foredeck of a SAKONNET. The object being painted is a wooden platform.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm

Vance's Revenge wrote:When wood is epoxied over it is sealed and you are painting the epoxy not the wood

Yes, that is what I said, and also why I added advice to carefully prepare the epoxy by removing the amine blush and roughing the surface, which will be important if he follows your advice to seal it with epoxy before painting.

I am sure the OP is now thoroughly confused. Maybe he can turn painting his old pine platform into enough project to last until Spring.

msrobin

Postby msrobin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm

No, not confused. Thanks for the discussion.
By the way, the forward wood platform is not pine. The slats appear to be mahogany and the cleats (joists), vertical grain fir.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:06 am

msrobin wrote:...the forward wood platform is not pine. The slats appear to be mahogany and the cleats (joists), vertical grain fir.

Use of pine wood by Boston Whaler is mentioned in prior discussions about the wood used in the original forward platform on the SAKONNET. See

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004769.html

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/019005.html

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1544