Standup Side Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
R DAVIS

Standup Side Console

Postby R DAVIS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 pm

I have a 1982 classic Sport 15. The boat has the original mahogany side console. I like everything about the boat and my setup, except that now at 75 years of age, I find it painful to remain sitting in rough water or when crossing boat wakes. If I could stand and run the boat in those conditions I would be much more comfortable. It is currently just too far to lean over to reach the wheel while standing.
I would like to find a way to raise the center console 18 inches or so without installing a different console.

I don't want to install a center console or replace the current side console, but would just like to raise the side console in order to steer while standing up when necessary. Seating is not a problem nor is the location of controls other than the steering wheel. I realize I might need to install a longer steering cable. I would also like to be able to return it to the original configuration at a later date. I was thinking of some way to raise the console with some type of side plates, maybe wood or custom made welded tubular stainless steel or aluminum rails.

Has anyone done this or seen such a modification, or perhaps have photos or drawings of this? Recommendations would be appreciated.

Jefecinco

Re: Standup Side Console

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 am

If you raise the console in order to steer your Sport 15 you may need to install a railing to hold onto when crossing wakes or whenever the water becomes rough. Raising the console 18 inches may also make it more difficult to steer when seated.

An alternative could be to change your steering control from the wheel to a forward "tiller" mounted to the gunwale next to the throttle/shift control. This would allow you to steer the boat from a standing or sitting position. Use of that type steering control was common with cable steering on boats a few decades ago.

Another alternative may be to raise the thwart somewhat until it is more comfortable for you. That is a common practice among Classic Boston Whaler with low seating. I am 80 and literally feel your pain. I have installed cushioned seats on our Sport 13 to make the low seating less tiring. So far that has proven sufficient for me.
Butch