NAUSET 16: Moving On-deck Fuel Tank and Two Batteries to Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
lgdpt

NAUSET 16: Moving On-deck Fuel Tank and Two Batteries to Console

Postby lgdpt » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 pm

On my NAUSET 16 I plan to move the on-deck fuel tank to the bottom of the helm console. I plan to move the two batteries to the shelf on the helm console.

Is this a bad idea?

jimh

Re: NAUSET 16: Moving On-deck Fuel Tank and Two Batteries to Console

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:33 am

I doubt that placing two large batteries on a wooden shelf in the console of a 40-year-old NAUSET would be a good idea. The shelf would have to be extremely strong to support the weight of two batteries. Also the batteries would have to be very securely mounted to the shelf in order to not be moved or tipped over by the motion of the boat.

lgdpt

Postby lgdpt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:03 pm

My thinking was the same. I had hope that some others had [moved two batteries and a fuel tank to be under the console on a NAUSET 16] with no repercussions.

The console on the NAUSET 16 is actually new. I have bolt-down trays to keep the batteries from moving. And although the console is sturdy, I still question the strength with 100-lbs of battery on a shelf.

I guess I will [move the] batteries to the floor of the console and [move the on deck] fuel [tank] under the seat.

Thank you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:56 pm

If LiFePO4 batteries were used instead of lead-acid batteries, the battery weight would be reduced about in half. However the cost would increase ten-fold.

lgdpt

Postby lgdpt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:04 pm

I already have already purchased two new standard marine [probably means flooded-cell vented lead-acid engine-cranking storage] batteries.

[The cost of LiFePO4 batteries] would price me out [of the marketplace of buyers].