Steering Wheel Paracord Wrap

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Outrage 20

Steering Wheel Paracord Wrap

Postby Outrage 20 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 pm

I wrapped a wheel with Paracord 550 which I bought at Home Depot for $7 for 100-feet. I had 20 feet left over.

Three take-aways
  1. Take your time and take breaks, it gets very repetitive and you can loose your over-under rotation quickly.
  2. Wear Gloves. If you don't, you are asking for multiple blisters.
  3. Allot about two hours plus a couple breaks to install.

Outrage20.jpg
Steering wheel with wrap installed.
Outrage20.jpg (105.13 KiB) Viewed 2535 times

jimh

Re: Steering Wheel Paracord Wrap

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Is there a particular reason the knots are on the outside diameter of the outer tube of wheel?

I would expect that having the knots on the inside edge would give the palm of your hand on the wheel a better feel.

Outrage 20

Postby Outrage 20 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:32 am

Jim, I watched about 10 videos on it on Youtube, a simple Paracord boat steering wheel wrap search and you will find them all. This is how they all did it. Interesting question, as I took the boat out yesterday, and the only downside was that my phone charging cord got caught in it a couple of times.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks for the follow-up. youTube demonstrations are often helpful. But thinking outside the box can also be helpful. I really do not see how the location of the knot must be on the outside edge of the steering wheel tube.

What is your opinion of the wrap on the steering wheel in terms of an aid in steering or in terms of comfort?

It does appear attractive, but does it make the steering better?

Outrage 20

Postby Outrage 20 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pm

Jim, Functionally, I don't think it would make a bit of difference either way. I've thought about your comments and second guessed myself. In the big picture, I think I like it this way better as it does have a good feel with the knots on the outside, some may like it inside. If I ever decide to change it out, it's a simple box cutter cut, unwrap, and for $7 and 2ish hours to install, I can change colors and knot locations. That's the beauty of this project.....can't say that about most boat projects! :-)