2001 Dauntless 16 Replacement Windshield; Sump Pump; Bottom Paint

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
seamuspg

2001 Dauntless 16 Replacement Windshield; Sump Pump; Bottom Paint

Postby seamuspg » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 pm

I am starting to do some Spring tune-ups on my [2001--ALWAYS USE FOUR DIGITS FOR YEAR] Dauntless [16]. It's my first Spring with the boat.

[The boat's] windshield is extremely beat up and needs replacing.

Q1: Where can I purchase [a replacement windshield for 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

Q2: what is the appropriate size [for a replacement windshield for a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

Q3: what is the size [for a replacement windshield for a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

I tried measuring but [the windshield has] a weird footprint.

A new sump pump is in order. Give me a suggestion for a replacement sump pump.

I am torn as to whether or not the [hull] bottom should be re-painted. The hull has some barnacles that need removing. The paint seems spotty in places. I believe hull was painted prior to the 2020 season.

Q4: Is there a rule of thumb [for how often anti-fouling bottom paint should be reapplied]?

The 201 DAUNTLESS 16 sits on a mooring.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Seamus

jimh

Re: 2001 Dauntless 16 Replacement Windshield; Sump Pump; Bottom Paint

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:49 am

seamuspg wrote:Q1: Where can I purchase [a replacement windshield for 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

A1: I doubt there is an off-the-shelf replacement windshield available available from a general boat supply store. Contact your Boston Whaler dealer to see if there is a replacement part available from Boston Whaler.

Also contact Twin Cities Marine in Wisconsin. They are the best Boston Whaler dealer for odd replacement parts

If the original windshield is not badly cracked, and it is just hazy or has some scratches, you may be able to restore the original.

If a replacement is needed, you may need to have one custom fabricated.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 am

seamuspg wrote:Give me a suggestion for a replacement sump pump.

I suggest you replace the existing electric sump pump with a similar model. The brand and model are usually very clearly marked on the pump housing. The RULE brand centrifugal pump is a very common pump used by Boston Whaler to evacuate water from a cockpit sump.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:52 am

seamuspg wrote:Q2: what is the appropriate size [for a replacement windshield for a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

Q3: what is the size [for a replacement windshield for a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16]?

I don't understand the difference between Q2 and Q3. A replacement windshield needs to be the correct size to fit onto the center console.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:58 am

seamuspg wrote:I am torn as to whether or not the [hull] bottom should be re-painted. The hull has some barnacles that need removing. The paint seems spotty in places.

If there is substantial marine growth already attached to the hull bottom, then clearly the anti-fouling paint was inadequate in preventing the growth.

For advice on bottom paint, see the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, you may find the owner's manual I have reproduced in HTML may give you useful guidance. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/

Read the MAINTENANCE section:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... nance.html

Read the sub-section on BOTTOM PAINT

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tml#bottom

As the manual suggests, the effectiveness of a particular anti-fouling bottom paint is often variable with the region of use, so get advice from locals regarding what bottom anti-fouling paint works well in your waters.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:45 am

Windshield:

While UPD does offer a replacement windshield for your year and model, note they are 6-9 months out on delivery.

Inside dimensions: 26 3/4 L x 11 W x 18 H
https://www.updplastics.com/windshield-manufacturers/boston-whaler-dauntless-boat-windshields/

I would suggest you remove your windshield and do some polishing. You will be surprised how much sun damage and scratch you can remove.

I would start with a product similar to this:
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/meguiar-s-clear-plastic-polish-filler.html

Bilge Pump:

While your pump is located in the sump, it is referred to as a bilge pump.

A Rule or Johnson Controls 500 gpm pump is sufficient.
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/johnson-pump-cartridge-bilge-pump/

Note: if the current bilge hose is ribbed on the inside, replace it with a smooth lined hose. While the hose is inexpensive, the ribs restrict the water flow.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

seamuspg

Postby seamuspg » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

I apologize for the double questions and change of terminology (sump pump vs bilge). I didn't type those.

WHOEVER proofreads these and changes the language before it is posted took some incorrect liberties. They will probably change this as well.

Let someone speak for themselves, especially when you don't translate well.

I will look into the windshield cleaner. And I will consider repainting the bottom as well.