Removing Paint From Non-skid Deck

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
fina

Removing Paint From Non-skid Deck

Postby fina » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 am

What is theist way to remove paint from non-skid deck on an old 16-foot Boston Whaler?

Binkster

Re: Removing Paint From Non-skid Deck

Postby Binkster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm

In this case the easiest and fastest way is the best way. I've never tried this method on a hull before but have had great success on old outboards. Its simple, brush on your favorite paint remover, let it sit for the required amount of time, the blow it and the old paint off the hull with a 2000 plus psi pressure washer. Before you use the pressure washer, I would take a drywall knife and lift as much of the gunk off the surface as you can. Cover every part of you skin and eyes, and do it in an open outside area away from everything. The whole job shouldn't take much more than an hour or so.

rich

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Have you tried heat?

I would try a hair dryer first. If not then a heat gun but be really, really careful.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

macfam

Postby macfam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Here's my suggestion: apply a heavy coat of SoyStrip from Franmar, available online. This is an admirable stripper that is made from soy. It is odorless, and does not contain harsh chemicals. You don't even need gloves.

After application, cut open rubbish or leaf bags or other cheap plastic sheeting, and lay over the gel so it doesn't dry out. Let sit for several hours or overnight. Scrub with a stiff brush to remove the bulk of old paint. Throw waste in lined barrel.

Then power wash.

I've used SoyStrip on many projects. Great stuff. http://www.franmar.com. (See video)