Drain Tube Replacement Problem

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JohnW

Drain Tube Replacement Problem

Postby JohnW » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:21 pm

I am in the middle of replacing the [cockpit] sump drain tube in my 1986 Montauk. I got the old tube out. When I went to install the new tube, it was as though the hole in the transom (the outside hole) was mis-aligned with the hole in the sump wall (inside hole). When the replacement tube is inserted into the outside hole first, it seems to be mis-aligned with the inside hole by a decent amount, maybe 5 millimeters [3/16-inch]. When inserted into the inside hole first, [the replacement tube] just barely will not fit through the outside hole, maybe off by one millimeter [0.040-inch]. I've tried removing a little bit of foam along the channel between the two holes, thinking that might be what is causing the problem, but this doesn't seem to work. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

[In a sidebar discussion of seven articles (now deleted), it was clarified that the cockpit sump drain on the 1986 MONTAUK runs aft and exits through the transom, and the drain tube is about one-foot long.--jimh]

cc378

Re: Drain tube replacement problem

Postby cc378 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:36 pm

I had a similar problem. The way I was able to thread the new tube through was to push it through with a wooden dowel that fit inside the tube. The dowel was much longer than the tube. I used the end of the dowel as a lever to guide the tube such that it got past its misalignment. The dowel fit snugly in the tube so that there was not chance of the dowel deforming the tube. Once through I pulled out the dowel and ran the flaring tool through the tube and did the rest as others have described. I hope this helps you.--Stephen

rcrcr

Re: Drain Tube Replacement Problem

Postby rcrcr » Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I also used a dowel (actually an old broom stick) to help fit a replacement drain tube. I also had to do some minor sanding to enlarge the hole, but that was probably because I used slightly larger PVC instead of metal. It fit perfectly and with 3M 5200 for sealing it has held up. Out of curiosity what material are you installing?

Binkster

Re: Drain Tube Replacement Problem

Postby Binkster » Sun May 15, 2016 11:21 am

I believe that PVC sealed with 5200 is the only permanent solution. No more worries about corrosion. I think I used schedule 120 (thinwall), not schedule 40 for an almost exact fit. I don't remember it was a long time ago, and its been off my mind for years now.

rich