RPS Z Leg; Seat Base Mounting Hole Location

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
frontier

RPS Z Leg; Seat Base Mounting Hole Location

Postby frontier » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:56 pm

When did the RPS Z-legs change from universal to needing a right and left?

Were the early Outrage Z-legs different than the Montauk?

Has the mounting hole location on the wooden seat base changed?

Some of the reversible pilot seat bases had T-Nuts inserted in the plywood base. A bolt fasten the seat base to the Z-legs.

I have seen two bolt patterns on the pilot seat base and Z legs.

OldKenT

Re: RPS Z Leg; Seat Base Mounting Hole Location

Postby OldKenT » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm

I found what user FRONTIER described in my 1985 Newport 17.

I have a parts list for a 1985 Newport 17 is dated "Effective 11/84." The parts lists shows a "Leg, starboard" with a part number 12103500 and a "Leg, port" with a part number 12103400.

After purchasing my boat in 2017, I noted the part numbers on each Z-leg and saw that the part numbers on the Z-legs differed. One was marked 1034 and the other 1035. The legs were installed in the reverse position - meaning front to back, and the sides had been switched Port to Starboard and Starboard to Port.

The base of the Z-legs have the same screw mounting pattern at both the front and back of the legs, so the legs can be mounted on the deck without having to drill new holes in the deck. However, the top of the Z-legs, where the seat base is mounted, does not have the same distance between the mounting holes at the front of the Z-leg as at the back. As a result, if the Z-legs marked for Port and Starboard are mounted in reverse position, the seat cushion itself must also be reversed to allow the mounting bolts to be inserted into the T-nuts which are mounted in the plywood base of the RPS.

Both the plywood seat base and the foam cushion on my 1985 Newport had deteriorated and needed to be replaced. In constructing the new plywood seat base to hold the new foam and vinyl cushion for the reversible pilot seat (RPS) on my 1985 Newport 17 boat, I found that the T-nuts had to be spaced differently for the front of the seat than for the back, and I corrected the mounting of the legs in accordance with the parts manual.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

frontier

Re: RPS Z Leg; Seat Base Mounting Hole Location

Postby frontier » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:49 pm

I remain puzzled as for when and for why the bolt pattern differed. The front part of the Z legs has about 3-inch-center-to-center fastener spacing where it fastens to the seat base. But the back part on some OEM and after market Z-legs has about 5-inch-or-greater spacing, and more of an L-shape mold.

The fit for a fuel tank under the seat would be better if the standard 3-inch-center-to-center-spacing were also used in the back.