Propeller Locks - Worth It?

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rlboeri

Propeller Locks - Worth It?

Postby rlboeri » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:01 am

Hi All,

Now that I have a stainless Viper prop on the new outboard, I am wondering about the use of a prop lock to prevent theft. Do any of you use them? Is it worth adding? Any downsides? Thanks for the help.

Bob

macfam

Re: Propeller Locks - Worth It?

Postby macfam » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:28 am

Bob--Where do you keep your boat? Mooring, dock, trailer? Is there a history of thefts in that location? Any prior thefts before you bought the Viper?
I have had three SS props on a mooring or dock. Nothing ever touched. But I have great neighbors (elderly) that are the Crime Watch types. Nothing gets by them. They call me if I forget to put up my "Gull Sweeps." If you determine there's a high risk of theft, get the lock.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:53 am

If you will sleep better with a lock on your propeller you should have one on it. Low cost for sleeping well.
Butch

russellbailey

Postby russellbailey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:09 pm

I've had McGard locks on the twin Revolution 4 propellers on my 1984 Outrage 25 since I bought it - I trailer it exclusively.

It is not just the cost but also the potential for a lost day if you walk out and find your propellers gone.

I know these won't stop a determined theif but it should stop a casual theif.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:55 pm

rlboeri wrote:Do any of you use [propeller locks]?

I do not use propeller locks.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:46 pm

We've painted stainless props to hid in plain sight. If doing that over again, I'd consider flat black powdercoating them. Would last longer.

Don

contender

Postby contender » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:35 pm

If they want it, they will take it, instead of purchasing the lock, I would just remove the prop each time, not a big deal. And stored in your garage will make it harder to steal.

jackjax

Postby jackjax » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 am

russellbailey wrote:I've had McGard locks on the twin Revolution 4 propellers on my 1984 Outrage 25 since I bought it - I trailer it exclusively.
It is not just the cost but also the potential for a lost day if you walk out and find your propellers gone.
I know these won't stop a determined theif but it should stop a casual theif.

Agree with this point, I have to deter the casual thieves. There is more of these than the professional boat thieves (I assume). I am on a self storage and have all the locks on my boat and that includes the coupler having a lock, makes me sleep well. The coupler thread has the same size as the wheel locks (on mine).

Its like having a dog that barks, there are other houses in the neighborhood with no dogs for easier picking. I also trailer down central FL and pick a "safe" hotel and having these locks makes me "feel" safer.
Jude
1997 BW Dauntless 17 115hp Merc