Gel Coat Patch Paste

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pictureman

Gel Coat Patch Paste

Postby pictureman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am

Hi all. There are some dings in my boat hull that I'd like to repair, the largest of which can be seen in the image below (approx. 1/2-inch length). I plan on progressively wet sanding the entire gel coat portion of the hull (600, 800, 1000 grit) and waxing afterward but want to make this repair first.

I was thinking of using Boston Whaler, 1989-1993, White Color Boat Gel Coat Patch Paste Repair Kit - Spectrum Color. I was wondering if the community has any experience with it. I'm also seeking alternate methods, if there are better ones out there.

Product: Boston Whaler, 1989-1993, White Color Boat Gel Coat Patch Paste Repair Kit - Spectrum Color

As for the blue antifouling paint, yes, I plan on sanding the poor job and re-applying a fresh coat.

Thanks!

kwik_wurk

Re: Gel Coat Patch Paste

Postby kwik_wurk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Yes I have used is successfully, and the blemish you have is within reason. Few comments below:

1.) In addition to your Spectrum patch kit, also buy a black pigment (for gel coat obviously), you may need white. (I typically need black, and occasionally have used Spectrum white gel coat paste as an adder.) --- Due to your hull aging/etc the patch paste will be slightly off, and you need to add a little pigment. (The hull in interior of my whalers are slightly different colors is another example.) --- To color match: Mix the pigment into the paste before the hardener, with TOOTHPICK amounts of pigment until ONE shade too light. Then pull a bit (teaspoon) out and mixed it with hardener and put it on cardboard, and let it set. (Can't remember if it cures darker or lighter, but that is the point of the test.) --- Once cured, compare color match, and adjusted accordingly on final batch. (I would buy two kits...)

2.) Grind down the patch a little (very little), I prefer abnormal shaped perimeter vs a perfect circle or square. (I find it makes fading a little easier and the imperfect edge is harder to pick up with the naked eye.)

3.) Tape of the area, typically I put a very tight tape perimeter around the patch, allowing the gel coat to be over lightly applied. It is then easier (in my opinion) to sand it down, and remove the tape, than worry about over sanding the good gel coat perimeter whilst trying to flatten/polish the applied gel coat.

4.) When mixing and applying be very careful not to add bubbles. Specifically, don't mix in an under over manner like beating eggs with a fork. (The same goes for epoxy resins, I add fillers the night before (without hardener) and let them sit so the bubbles rise/pop.) And when you apply, again try your best to not add bubbles. (Use the small color test batch for practice so you know texture, etc..)

5.) You may want to get a PVA mold release to speed up curing of the gel coat surface. I cut it with a little water to use spray bottle, or one can dab it carefully with a brush (after it has set a bit). -- If it doesn't cure properly (within a day or so depending on temp), just set up a lamp and get some heat on it...it has happened to me, part of the learning curve...

6.) Get ready to sand a lot for such a small spot... go up to 4000 grit. (Have to look for it online, or an auto parts occasionally have it.) It will polish better than heavy rubbing compound.

Good luck

porthole

Postby porthole » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Besides letting the fillers sit overnight, another trick to minimize bubbles is to stir very slowly.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

pictureman

Postby pictureman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:20 pm

On a 1989 SPORT 13 is the hull color Desert Tan or White? Spectrum has both but no sample on-line so can't tell. Thank you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Contact Boston Whaler customer service to get the definitive answer on hull color. In the epoch c.1990 there were changes made. Hulls that previously used Desert Tan may have changed to a near-white shade around that time.

pictureman

Postby pictureman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Jim.

I did reach out to Boston Whaler. For the record, a 1989 13' Whaler Sport's hull colour is Desert Tan.

ollie366

Postby ollie366 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I just refinished an 81 with the Spectrum desert tan. I thinned it with styrene and sprayed it using a Preval sprayer. Came out great. I built up the area with the paste and finished it using the sprayer. After compounding and polishing it looked like new. Might be worth considering.