White All-round Lamp Replacement Lightbulb Socket

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
kwik_wurk

White All-round Lamp Replacement Lightbulb Socket

Postby kwik_wurk » Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 am

I would like to replace the plastic lightbulb socket the is pressed into the OEM white all-round lamp. Per the picture below, it seems easy enough to grab and pull, but I have not found a like-like replacement socket. My initial searches didn't get far, but I suspect the description I am using is my limiting factor.

Any recommendations [for a replacement for the plastic lightbulb socket in the OEM white all-round lamp]?

What is this piece called?

Does a replacement exist?

IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG (30.71 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

jimh

Re: White All-round Lamp Replacement Lightbulb Socket

Postby jimh » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

I recommend you determine the original equipment manufacturer of the white all-round lamp you have. A good source for that information is from Boston Whaler customer service.

Once you know the actual manufacturer, you can contact the manufacturer of the lamp and determine if a replacement part is available from them.

You could also browse some navigating lighting catalogues to see if you can find something similar.

Note that Brunswick is continually expanding its corporate boating operation into the parts and accessory business, or as they refer to it in their corporate speech, "P and A." The manufacturer of the navigation lamp might very well be some other business unit of Brunswick doing business under a branding, just like Boston Whaler does. It is common that Brunswick buys components from itself (that is, one business unit buys from another business unit), and to find that the lamp was made by Brunswick would not be a surprise.

Even if no replacement part is available, you may be able to make repairs yourself. Describe in more detail the actual defect in the lamp, and perhaps there is a simpler remedy.

And what is that nice piece of wood serving as a photography stand?

frontier

Postby frontier » Tue May 03, 2016 7:11 pm

It's a Perko part number 0024DP2 (comes with a 60" pigtail).

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Wed May 04, 2016 1:43 am

Frontier, Exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you.

jimh, that lumber is reclaimed old grow Douglas Fir with teredo holes (looks like a worm hole but really a mulusk). The stock I have is all true 2"x10", that I have planed and sanded down (150 at the moment, I stop at 220 for fir, 320 for harder woods.) I am not wood worker by any means, but it have made a few outdoor tables from it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.3 KiB) Viewed 4264 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 04, 2016 8:49 am

I think someone must have already had a problem with that socket, replaced it, and knows the part number:

http://www.perko.com/catalog/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/214/double_contact_bayonet_socket_-_black_polymer_body/

Where can you buy it?

Thanks for the information on the wood. It is very attractive wood.

brill

Postby brill » Wed May 04, 2016 10:26 am

I replaced a socket recently with a 0024DP1 which I believe is the same as 0024DP2 but with a shorter wire length (10" vs 60"). I believe that the 0024DP2 is desirable with the longer length; but I found the 0024DP1 at West Marine and spliced in a longer wire to make it work. The 0024DP2 is available at Amazon or on Ebay.