GUARDIAN 18 Center Deck, Fuel Tank Repair

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Autococker07

GUARDIAN 18 Center Deck, Fuel Tank Repair

Postby Autococker07 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm

[We] just started work on my GUARDIAN 18. We:

--stripped out the ratty wiring,

--pulled the center console,

--lifted up the deck, and

--started to peel the foam.

The deck is not terrible but bad enough around the edges that we're going to replace it. It also was not completely sealed around the edges, so there is lots of water intrusion and de-lamination between the plywood and fiberglass.

There are two distinct colors and densities of foam, with a darker orange foam being apparent ahead of the fuel tank cavity.

[Progress] is slow going with putty knives, and I will be bringing out the pressure washer tomorrow. I will be a busy boy this month.
Attachments
image.jpeg
After a little putty knife lovin
image.jpeg (224.76 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
image.jpeg
Deck
image.jpeg (207.18 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
image.jpeg
First look
image.jpeg (229.09 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

Maverick

Re: GUARDIAN 18 Center Deck Repair

Postby Maverick » Thu May 05, 2016 7:48 am

Hi Jim. Wow, looks a lot like mine when I opened it up and looks like you're on the right track. Kinda fun and exciting, too. To get the foam loose from the tank the inch or so around the tank I used a small pointed saw and worked like a Trojan cutting. Someone suggested a pressure washer to cut it, and that might work, but I didn't have one. Plus it might be too intense use caution if you elect to go the pressure washer route.

Getting the tank out and cleaning out the cavity, once done, will be a breath of fresh air. I predict you're going to be smiling big that's a great accomplishment. By the way, the tank cavity is finished and polished like the hull exterior. very high quality. What one would expect from Whaler, of course (:>

I like it Keep the pics coming Mav

Autococker07

Postby Autococker07 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:42 pm

The pressure washer works, a little bit. I got the label off the tank. The tank was replaced with a smaller one in 2001, about 40-gallons, and it is correspondingly shorter, about two-thirds of the 63-gallon.

In that forward space there are two kinds of foam. The top is basically the consistency of "good stuff" foam. The bottom layer is orange and about twice the hardness of diamonds. Even the 3000-PSI pressure washer with "0" tip cannot cut it That tip cuts concrete. I have no clue how I will dig that mess out.

When Piranha Marine installed this tank they left out the metal straps. It seems to simply be foamed into place. At a minimum I will remove and clean it, and--If it is not corroded--I will rhino line it, and reinstall with new [hoses]. The filler and vent tubes were encased in foam, and look brand new. I just don't want to take a chance on them.

Tank was replaced in [2001], and the boat auctioned from service ten years later. The previous owner never had time for it, and it hasn't been in the water since 2011, when the Navy sold it. Hence the tank cavity has been full of freshwater. I can feel about one-third of the rear of the tank, and no significant corrosion yet. It sure would be nice to clean this baby up and reuse it. My hands are killing me.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Rds manufacturers Rds sticker. The "4" is cut off in the pic, but this is a smaller tank than original
image.jpeg (122 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
image.jpeg
Progress today. Think I would rather dig up concrete. This thing is in tight!!!!
image.jpeg (232.4 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Why is the writing on the label backwards?

Are you sure the "orange foam" is not something else, some sort of mastic or adhesive?

Autococker07

Postby Autococker07 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 am

jimh wrote:Why is the writing on the label backwards?

Are you sure the "orange foam" is not something else, some sort of mastic or adhesive?

The writing is backwards because the foam was sprayed directly onto the sticker, you are seeing a transfer of the print on the foam.

I have no idea what the orange substance is, it seems to be some extremely hard foam, or maybe an epoxy like substance that was used around the edges of the tank.... and sporadically in the forward section of the cavity which was completely filled with foam. I thought at first that it may have something to do with fuel reacting with the foam, but the large blobs up front (and the great condition of the tank) make me think that it is just a differant product that happened to be around when the work was done. No matter, it is all coming our regardless.... Ill have to post a picture of the HUGE piles of foam chunks sitting in the boat when i cover her up tommorrow night.

I can touch the bottom edge of the tank in the front and rear, but have not formulated a plan to lift it yet.... there is a tiny (really really tiny) tab near the sender, and the sender is so small that I would not be able to get a piece of wood in there if i tried. I also want to attempt to save this tank, as I belive it may be useable.... so I have some thinking to do.... More pics later! Jim

Acseatsri

Re: GUARDIAN 18 Center Deck, Fuel Tank Repair

Postby Acseatsri » Mon May 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Re re-using the 15 year old tank- keep in mind even if the outside of the tank is pristine, fuel tanks corrode from the inside out. When I replaced the tank on a1992 21 walkaround , the outside of the tank had been coated with some kind of epoxy and looked like new on the outside. You couldn't see any evidence of a hole, only a tiny telltale wet spot near the center rear bottom of the tank. For the amount of work you're doing, I'd go the extra mile and replace it using the original size 63 gallon tank rather than risk having to open it up again in a few years.

Binkster

Re: GUARDIAN 18 Center Deck, Fuel Tank Repair

Postby Binkster » Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm

FOR EASY REMOVAL OF FOAM DO THIS;
use a handsaw and cut the foam into rectangular blocks. Then use this tool with the flat blade and you can chip the foam blocks out in a manner of minutes. Wear gloves to protect yourself from the intense vibration of this tool. Very little effort required.
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillatin ... 62279.html

rich