2002 180 Dauntless Scupper Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ClamBuster

2002 180 Dauntless Scupper Replacement

Postby ClamBuster » Thu May 12, 2016 5:31 pm

I have a 2002 18' Dauntless with two leaking scuppers. The scuppers do not seat snugly in their hull openings and significant water is filling the bilge.

Both scuppers sit below the waterline. I will review some photos to see if this is a common concern.

I can access the starboard scupper thru the hatch access. I can replace the defective scupper with a watertight thru hull fitting.

The port side is blocked by the factory live well. The live well does not appear to be removable.

I seem to have one of two choices, either permanently seal the port scupper and re-rout the line to the starboard outlet or cut out the live well to replace the scupper.

Has anyone removed their factory live well?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

JJC

Masbama

Re: 2002 18' Dauntless scupper replacement

Postby Masbama » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

I had mine replaced last year by a neighbor who has since moved. Don't know how he did it.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 pm

The typical flap style scupper wears out and does not properly hold a seal.

Two solutions - short term and long.

Short term - remove the flap, rotate and reinstall.

Long term - replace with ping pong style.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri May 13, 2016 10:23 am

The scuppers should not sit below the waterline. That is the problem that needs resolution before contemplating any work on the scupper thru hull fittings.

First determine the cause of your Dauntless floating with the transom scuppers below the water. The gross cause is improper hull fore to aft balance which is almost certainly caused by too much weight aft. How is your boat loaded? Do you keep the bait well full of water? Do you store gear in the storage areas beneath the aft seating? If your bait well is kept dry do you use it for storage? What do you keep in the helm seat (RPS)? due to the propensity of many (most?) Dauntless hulls to sit a bit low in the rear it is a good practice to avoid any heavy gear/equipment behind the console.

If you can get the scuppers above the waterline your problem has been at least temporarily solved. As to removing and resealing the scupper thru hull fittings, that is a simple process once access to the fittings is achieved. I'm surprised your bait well is blocking access to a scupper. Is it possible the thru hull fitting for the bait well drain is the fitting that you are trying to access?
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri May 13, 2016 3:27 pm

For your information, here are the parts diagrams. The design is not the typical thru hulls of most boats.

Stern Deck Assembly #1
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000112.pdf

Stern Deck Assembly #2 (note the drains)
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000113.pdf

Stern Deck Assembly #3
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000114.pdf

Live well Option #1
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000080.pdf

There are at least 20 sheets including the parts list. Go to http://www.bostonwhaler.com/page.aspx/pageid/34791/page.aspx and select YEAR and select MODEL for the entire list.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Phil,

The final diagram in your list is of the old style RPS live well. If the 2002 Dauntless 18 is equipped with that live well it could not possibly be interfering with access to the scupper thru hull fittings.

We need some more information from the OP to know what he is dealing with, or I should say I need some more information. A photograph or two would be perfect.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri May 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Butch -

All the parts diagrams for 2002-2004 are the same.

For 2005, there is one drawing "thru hulls" but it contains ALL the drawings. There is a drawing for the rear bait well. It shows the well drain T into the hose that connects the deck drain to the thru hull drain fitting.

I would imagine there is no access to the area since the bait well is blocking access as the OP stated.

With respect the the boat trim, the 180 Dauntless has some serious stern weight with the well, rear cap, built in folding stern seat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Fri May 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Phil T wrote:The typical flap style scupper wears out and does not properly hold a seal.

Two solutions - short term and long.

Short term - remove the flap, rotate and reinstall.

Long term - replace with ping pong style.

Hi Phil,
Its not the scupper flap that is leaking, it is the seal around the thru hole. The scupper assembly on both scuppers have too much clearance within the hole. The water is leaking through the gap.
I've purchased new scupper assemblies that screw on tightly. I may cut out and install a "tackle box" hatch 8x15" in the stern deck above the stern scupper assembly. That will give me access and provide a useful hole.
Thanks
JJC

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Fri May 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Jefecinco wrote:The scuppers should not sit below the waterline. That is the problem that needs resolution before contemplating any work on the scupper thru hull fittings.

First determine the cause of your Dauntless floating with the transom scuppers below the water. The gross cause is improper hull fore to aft balance which is almost certainly caused by too much weight aft. How is your boat loaded? Do you keep the bait well full of water? Do you store gear in the storage areas beneath the aft seating? If your bait well is kept dry do you use it for storage? What do you keep in the helm seat (RPS)? due to the propensity of many (most?) Dauntless hulls to sit a bit low in the rear it is a good practice to avoid any heavy gear/equipment behind the console.

If you can get the scuppers above the waterline your problem has been at least temporarily solved. As to removing and resealing the scupper thru hull fittings, that is a simple process once access to the fittings is achieved. I'm surprised your bait well is blocking access to a scupper. Is it possible the thru hull fitting for the bait well drain is the fitting that you are trying to access?

Hi Jef,
I have reviewed numerous internet photos of dauntless models in the water. The only one that has 2" of clearance above the waterline is a promo BW ad. All of the others show the scuppers at or under the waterline.

There are no excess heavy items stored in the stern area other than a second battery. When I detected the leaking concern, I was leaning over the stern with my head poking through the rear access hatch. Quite a feat. At that point the scuppers were below the water line.

The only access to the port stern is through the center stern bilge hatch. I can only stretch my arm so far, but not far enough to reach the fitting. I accessed the starbord side through the starboard battery hatch that is the same hatch that covers the bait well. I am working on an alternate plan that I will try on Sunday.
JJC

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Fri May 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Phil T wrote:For your information, here are the parts diagrams. The design is not the typical thru hulls of most boats.

Stern Deck Assembly #1
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000112.pdf

Stern Deck Assembly #2 (note the drains)
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000113.pdf

Stern Deck Assembly #3
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000114.pdf

Live well Option #1
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company94/_56_10212010000080.pdf

There are at least 20 sheets including the parts list. Go to http://www.bostonwhaler.com/page.aspx/pageid/34791/page.aspx and select YEAR and select MODEL for the entire list.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the links, I have downloaded all of the diagrams when I bought the boat. The scuppers appear to be two piece snap together assemblies. The outside parts have been lost by a previous owner. I have a plan of action that I'll describe in another post.
JJC

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Masbama wrote:I had mine replaced last year by a neighbor who has since moved. Don't know how he did it.

We gotta find that guy! Skinny with really long arms.

JJC

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Fri May 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Here are my plans of action.

Plan A. There is a thin partition in the bilge area below the stern seat. Some wires, battery switch, and the SW wash down pump are attached to it.
I will try to remove the partition and hopefully gain full body prone access to the bilge. I'll have my cell phone handy, in case I get stuck down there.

Plan B. The port scupper itself is not attached to the stern hull. Its just stuck in there by the force of the drain hose. I will disconnect the hose topside and pull the whole works out. I will cut off the new scupper's outer flange and adjust the inboard threaded washer to allow the remaining threaded tube to extend beyond the hull. I measured the distance and it will be long enough. I will a garden hose through the drain hose to guide the new scupper to the hole.
I will fill the gap with 5200 and screw on another threaded washer to lock the scupper in place. It won't look elegant, but it will seal the opening. I'll add a one way valve to the upper drain hose during re-assembly and double clamp the whole mess.

Plan C.
Cutout and install a 8x15" tackle storage hatch, topside directly above the stern. I'll have easy access to make a firm and elegant connection.
BUT! I really hate cutting holes in a boat, and I really don't want to cutout the live well.

I have owned 6 whalers. The Montauks all provided simple access to wiring, except the forward navigation lights, off course. The other 4, including this Dauntless are designed to drive you nuts when trying to run a sonar or perform a plumbing install.

Any suggestions are encouraged before Sunday. I have got to solve this problem, or I am not going fishing this week.

JJC

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat May 14, 2016 10:41 am

Unfortunately I can't think of anything helpful. I suggest you move the second battery, switches, etc, to the console if that is practical. Any weight moved forward will help. The deeper in the water a hull penetration is the more pressure the water exerts upon it. Consequently the more water that will enter the hull over a given time span.

Good luck with the repair and the Sunday fishing trip.
Butch

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Sat May 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi Jef,

I am planning to move the batteries from the stern to beneath the console. Its on the "to do" list.

I have removed the heavy flip up stern seat/casting platform. I cut two pieces of 1/2" starboard for a port and starboard flip up seat and have the space in between set up for a 72 can cooler. Home Depot had a closeout on this Coleman for $17.97. I just squeezes in.

The original port and starboard seats were removed by a previous owner. I check Marine Liquidators in Ft Pierce once or twice a week. They did have a brand new wrapped 2001 Dauntless foam stern seat for $95.00. BUT, it would not fit around the built in drink holders on the 2002.

The scupper leaks will have top priority before the next fishing trip inshore or offshore. When you make a bad decision on the water, it may be your last.

JJC

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun May 15, 2016 2:22 pm

All 2001 and earlier 18' Dauntless bulls hAve their scuppers below the waterline. It's just how they are. I think with the 2002 and newer hull modifications they moved the scuppers higher so they are above the waterline. http://images.boats.com/resize/1/8/81/1 ... 1707_0.jpg
Pic of 2000 hull.
Last edited by Masbama on Sun May 15, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ClamBuster

Postby ClamBuster » Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Plan B was completed.

The port side of the below deck partition was fixed with five screws. Once removed, I was able to remove the scupper drain hose and the remaining part of the original scupper. I could also access the bottom of the bait well. Not much room under there, about 1" to squeeze my fingers under.

I cut off the outer flange of a new one piece plastic scupper assembly and slid the new concoction into place. The threaded piece extended about 1/2" thru the hull. I filled the entire void with 3M 5200 and screwed on a 3" threaded nut. There is no "scupper flap", however it should be a watertight reliable fitting. I may add an internal flapper at a later date. The pipe diameter is 2". I'll search for a solution.

The starboard scupper was reachable through the battery access hatch. A complete scupper was installed without too much aggravation.

I'll sea trial the boat this week. I'll make a final report, I hope, after that shake down cruise.

Thanks for all of your responses.
PS: 3M 5200 and 7200 products can not removed from your clothing, in fact I have a one inch strip of white 3M latex adhering to my left leg for the past week. Its gonna be around for while.

JJC

jrbress

Postby jrbress » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

I have a 2006 22' Dauntless so I am not sure if this applies.
I had the same scupper problems as you described.
A well respected marine repair place said they would have to cut an access over the top of the scupper through the top-deck that is connected to the transom.
I said screw that and found that I could get to the port side scupper by reaching into the existing access port that is just in front of the engine.
I had to do it blind because when reaching all the way over to the port scupper I could not also have my head in the access to see.
It worked find with a helper to hold the old scupper as I unscrewed the hose clamp and removed the hose and then holding the new scupper as I reattached the hose and tightened the hose clamp.
My plan-B was to set up a camera if doing it blind did not work.

Can you reach the scupper through the access?

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am

Boston Whaler created a recorded presentation to demonstrate the process of replacement of through-hull drains. See their presentation on youTube at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zby76eoKO-I&t=1s

The presenter notes:

This may look like a fairly easy job, but it's a good idea to have a authorized Boston Whaler dealer take care of this for you. If it's not done correctly, it can certainly void your warranty.

Of course, for a 2002 hull, the warranty is already long expired. Perhaps the demonstration will help.