Replacement for Combined Sidelights Lamp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rlboeri

Replacement for Combined Sidelights Lamp

Postby rlboeri » Thu May 19, 2016 11:30 am

Hi all. The finish on the [combined sidelights] navigation lamp on my 1988 Montauk is looking a bit ratty and I am thinking about replacing it with the newer LED model sold by Specialty Marine. What is your impressions of the [quality of the replacement lamp sold] by Specialty Marine? Any thoughts before I spring for the $180 plus shipping? Thanks--Bob

Phil T

Re: Replacement for Combined Sidelights Lamp

Postby Phil T » Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Bob--you get what you pay for. Members have noted the quality of the products sold by Specialty was not as good as they expected and far less than OEM, but many were pleased.

General reviews:
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/020482.html

Members in years past have stated there was a design problem with this replacement navigation lamp assembly. I recall it had to do with the lip not being deep enough to fit over the rub rail in the bow. If you search the archives, you may find the threads from about five years ago.

Happy Spring to ya.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Replacement for Combined Sidelights Lamp

Postby jimh » Thu May 19, 2016 1:51 pm

You might consider having the original navigation lamp metal housing re-chromed. At one time there were plenty of shops that did that sort of work, but perhaps in the modern era they have all gone away due to EPA air quality regulations. Try a GOOGLE SEARCH for

re chrome shop near me