Outrage 25 Whaler Drive Drains and Pumps

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
cc378

Outrage 25 Whaler Drive Drains and Pumps

Postby cc378 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:32 am

On my 1990 Outrage 25 with Whaler Drive I have three [through-hull] drain tubes and two sump pumps. Forward of the super console is a compartment with a drain (that I have closed) and a sump pump. The anchor locker and two side lockers drain into this compartment and the pump empties it.

On the starboard aft end I have a small sump area (with drain closed) and a bilge pump.

On the port aft I have a small sump area (with the drain tube closed) and no sump pump. It looks like this over flows into the fish well that is in the center.

On the port side should I add a sump pump?

Or, should I leave the plug out?

Or should I let it overflow into the fish well, add a float switch to the fish well. and leave [the pump in the fish well[ in empty mode instead of aerator mode?

Thank you--Stephen

jimh

Re: Outrage 25 Whaler Drive Drains and Pumps

Postby jimh » Mon May 30, 2016 10:45 am

See the owner's manual at:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... elfBailing

For your boat with Whaler Drive, the applicable advice is under the heading

25 Inboard-Outboard and Sea Drive Models

There are really four sump areas:

--forward deck large center locker

--small sump on Starboard aft cockpit

--small sump on Port aft cockpit

--aft live well

The forward deck large center locker and the aft live well can accumulate a lot of water. The two small sumps on the cockpit aft will hold a smaller volume of water.

Look in the aft live well to see if there is a cross drain that connects the port cockpit sump to the starboard cockpit sump. Usually a Boston Whaler boat sits at rest with a slight tilt to starboard (as a result of battery position and helm position), so the port sump will drain into the starboard. The Whaler Drive models usually have this cross drain.

These two small sumps can have their drains left open to the sea. Some seawater will enter, but, depending on the boat's static trim and waterline, the amount of water in these sumps will be limited. The alternative is to close the drain and have a sump pump.

The forward large center locker can accumulate a lot of water. It lies well below the water line, so typically you cannot drain the water to sea unless underway. When underway an open drain will suck water out, and the usual bow rise will also help.

The live well can also hold lots of water. It will drain to the sea when underway. Since you already have a pump there you know it can drain the well.

cc378

Re: Outrage 25 Whaler Drive Drains and Pumps

Postby cc378 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Thank you Jim.

Stephen