NMEA output for 2007 Verado?

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Foulweather Jack

NMEA output for 2007 Verado?

Postby Foulweather Jack » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:53 pm

I have a 2007 Conquest 235 with a 250 hp Verado with a Smartcraft gauge on the console. I am considering upgrading the electronics suite to a Furuno Navnet tzTouch2, and I see that it has the capability of displaying engine data on the touchscreen via a NMEA interface with the engine.

I see that the Verado output does not interface with NMEA. Is anyone aware of a NMEA adaptor that might interface with the Verado so as to allow display on the Furuno?

One of the things I dislike about the Smartcraft display is that you have to toggle through various menus to see what you want, which can be tedious and time consuming.

On the other hand, interfacing the Furuno with the Verado may be more trouble than it is worth. I would be curious to learn from the experiences of others who have encountered this situation.

jollyrog305

Re: NMEA output for 2007 Verado?

Postby jollyrog305 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Jack--I believe there is a gateway adaptor available from veradoclubparts.com that allows for this. I just use the "Favorites" menu on the Smartcraft display to access the most commonly used and needed data.

Roger
Roger
305 Boston Whaler Conquest / 1967 Boston Whaler Currituck/Nauset (Currset)

Foulweather Jack

Postby Foulweather Jack » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks, Jolly. I've been sniffing around the interweb and I've found that Mercury does indeed manufacture a gateway for NMEA 2000 output. When I have some spare time and cash to devote to this project I might just do it. Currently, I have a Furuno Navnet VX2 which is proving temperamental in terms of power supply and interface, hence my interest in the newer, allegedly more user friendly Navnet tzTouch2.

timf

Postby timf » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:52 am

This (VesselView) may be another option for a gateway. I used the VesselView 4 with a different Mercury engine and it provides a gateway function between SmartCraft and a NMEA 2000 network.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gau ... esselview/

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:59 am

There is a new gateway product that allows translation of data between Smartcraft and NMEA. See a prior discussion about this new product at:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=532