Bow Rails

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
IslandYak

Bow Rails

Postby IslandYak » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:43 pm

I have a 1985 17' Montauk and I am having concern with screws on the bow rail kept coming off. These are the screws that attached the rails to the 90 degree Tee Fitting. Anybody know of a better solution to keep the screws from keep coming loose. Thanks

Fred

kwik_wurk

Re: Bow Rails

Postby kwik_wurk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 pm

You can rivet them together. (Can't remember what size, but I used an aluminum rivet and the rivet head fits 97% into the recessed screw hole; so it was a clean/smooth install.) -- Otherwise you'll want to use a touch of threadlocker on the screws.

macfam

Postby macfam » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Replace the screws with rivets!!!
Here is a thread from the old forum that you MUST READ.
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/016099.html

I followed this entire procedure and replace all those loose screws with STAINLESS STEEL rivets. What a difference!!!

Big tip:Try to buy (Harbor Freight) or rent a pneumatic rivet gun. Fantastic compared to a hand riveter.
A friend has a plane, and uses rivets all the time. I borrowed it.
No more rattle, no more shake. Super quiet railings

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:23 am

Instead of using rivets, which will be permanent, you can use Permatex Threadlocker to hold the screws in place. Use the Blue, not the Red, variety so that you can remove the screws if you want to do work on the railings. The Blue will prevent the screws from loosening due to vibration. You should use this also on bolts or machine screws in your engine which are prone to loosen up due to vibration. Before reinstalling, clean up the old Threadlocker by running the screws through the proper size threader.
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200