Montauk Re-power with TOHATSU or HONDA 90

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Grumpa48

Montauk Re-power with TOHATSU or HONDA 90

Postby Grumpa48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm

I am new to the forum and already appreciate the sharing of information.

My 1992 Montauk 17 has a 1992 Yamaha 70-HP outboard engine that just burned the center cylinder. I need to either spend money on a 25-year-old power unit or switch to a new engine. I am considering the Tohatsu 90 [which later is described as a four-stroke-power-cycle engine very similar to the Honda BF90] and I am interested in knowing experience for both the [c.1992 Yamaha] 70 and [the Tohatsu four-stroke-power-cycle] 90. Anyone in the know?

[I split this new topic away from a thread that was discussing the TOHATSU TLDI 90 engine--jimh.]

jimh

Re: Montauk Re-power with TOHATSU/HONDA 90

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:13 pm

The three-cylinder Yamaha 70 two-stroke-cycle engine is a classic. It is a complete copy of the even more classic OMC 70-HP three-cylinder. They are great engines from the classic age of two-stroke-power-cycle carburetor outboard engines. The problem today with a 25-year-old beauty like your Yamaha is to find someone who could do a good job of rebuilding the engine block. Engine rebuilding is skilled work. The outcome depends mostly on the skill of the workman performing the rebuild. I suspect that in today's outboard engine repair business, the number of people who are sufficiently skilled to perform a good rebuild is decreasing, mostly because these guys are all old guys now. My local dealer had a very experienced mechanic who did great work on rebuilding engines, but he retired--he is over 70-years-old. Even if you could find a really skilled and qualified rebuilder, the next consideration is the cost of his services. You'd probably spend $2,500--or more--depending on what he finds when he tears down your engine.

For any new outboard engine purchase, I recommend you put some of the decision on the quality of the dealer you will be working with. All new engines will need some post-sale support. They aren't as simple as they used to be. If you really like the TOHATSU dealer that has a 90-HP engine available, then perhaps you have found your new engine.

Grumpa48

Re: Montauk Re-power with TOHATSU TLDI 90

Postby Grumpa48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info.

The Tohatsu 90-HP engine I am considering is the four-stroke-power-cycle [Model BFT90]. You can check it out at

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/90_4st.html

It is virtually the same engine as the Honda 90, which Tohatsu builds.

I do have a great dealer near by who handles Tohatsu, so that may be the key to my choice. Since summer is almost over, (I live on the bank of the river that defines the border between Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan) I have several months to think about it.

Appreciate your help.

jimh

Re: Montauk Re-power with TOHATSU TLDI 90

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I think you have the relationship between Tohatsu and HONDA backwards. It is HONDA that is making engines for TOHATSU. This arrangement was announced about three years ago. Compare at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022266.html

http://static-tradeonlytoday-wp.s3.amaz ... u20802.pdf

Unless a drastic change has occurred and manufacturing of the 90-HP engine has been moved to Tohatsu from Honda, it would appear that it is Honda making the engine and Tohatsu branding it as theirs for sale via their dealers.

This re-branded Honda sold-as-Tohatsu looks to be identical to the HONDA BF90EFI. Compare at

http://marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF75-90

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Since you are located close to Wisconsin, the epicenter of the outboard manufacturing industry in the U.S.A., you might have a good rebuilder in your backyard--although perhaps not for a Yamaha.

Grumpa48

Postby Grumpa48 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 pm

I have conflicting info concerning Tohatsu/Honda/Merc/Evinrude so I talked to Tohatsu's folks in Texas. Here goes:

Tohatsu manufactures motors in the 9.5 to 115 range. They sell them but so does Nissan, Merc, Mariner, Evinrude.
Mercury's motors 30 and under are all Tohatsu. I believe the same is true for Evinrude.
Honda does indeed manufacture and supply Tohatsu with their 60 thru 250 four stroke engines.
Additionally Tohatsu makes and sells a handful of international motors sold by rebranders (Asia, subcontinent, Africa) . Mostly low hp units.

I believe they call this the global economy.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Nothing I wrote and nothing on this website conflicts with your recent comments. You just had the Honda-Tohatsu relationship backwards.

That Tohatsu makes some small engines for others is widely know and discussed at great length in prior articles.

Let's get back on track: when are you getting the Honda-made Tohatsu-branded engine?

Why not just get the Honda version?

Grumpa48

Postby Grumpa48 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I didn't mean to imply that I'd received confusing info here. I've spent some time talking to other boat owners, etc. and drew the conclusion (wrong) about the relationship. You hit it spot on.
The local Honda dealer is more or an ATV, motorcycle shop. The Tohatsu dealer is a marine only shop. I'm looking at both plus Yamaha right now. My boat will be stored within a month so I have the winter to get the right deal. Thanks for your help. I'm still kicking tires.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Yes, I have seen some listings of "Honda outboard dealers" and then found little shops that sell Honda generators or lawn mowers and could order an outboard engine for you, say a 5-HP or similar small engine. Here in Michigan there is a paucity of real Honda outboard dealers, the sort of place you'd be able to trust to sell, install, set-up, and maintain one of those big Honda BF250 engines. You may be wise to go with the Tohatsu version if there is a real outboard dealer selling it instead of a lawn mower shop.

Grumpa48

Postby Grumpa48 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Agree. Will let you know what I do.

Noted you are in Lower MI. I live on the bank of the Menominee River. My house is in Wisconsin but the end of my dock is in the UP. Edge of the earth.