190 OUTRAGE, VERADO 150: Propeller for Rough Water

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Blackfin32

190 OUTRAGE, VERADO 150: Propeller for Rough Water

Postby Blackfin32 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

I have searched and found an old thread in the archives discussing the topic [of a choice of a propeller to use with a VERADO 150-HP engine on Boston Whaler 190 OUTRAGE for rough water], but never saw any closure. Here is a summary:

Earlier [190 OUTRAGE with 150 VERADO] boats have a MIRAGEplus 17; newer boats--like mine--have an ENERTIA 18.

I'm looking for better bite, and [with the present ENERTIA 18 the VERADO 150 accelerates to] 5,800-RPM. Thus I am thinking [of replacing the ENERTIA 18 with a REVOLUTION4 15-pitch. {What are your] thoughts [about this propeller replacement]?

Acseatsri

Re: outrage 190 with 150 verado, rough water propellor

Postby Acseatsri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:18 am

If you're headed in the direction of four-bladed propellers, I'd also consider the Powertech OFS4 series prop , a little larger diameter. I have one on my 23 WA and couldn't be happier--getting almost 3-MPG from a 250 Honda, and holds low speed plane extremely well.

Blackfin32

Re: outrage 190 with 150 verado, rough water propellor

Postby Blackfin32 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:35 am

I am familiar with the Powertech four-blade. I have tried several on various other boats, [but] never could seem to get them to work.

When I tried the REVOLUTION4 I always got the results.

I know they are more pricey, but they work--as long as you get the right pitch to maintain maximum engine RPM. In this case, I'm thinking the 17P might be too much, and I just cannot afford to gamble. I have to get it right.

I don't know how to attach the thread from 2008 [You cannot; that thread is closed, but you can give the URL to it so others can see what you are referring to--jimh]

There seemed to be a lot of debate, [Verado v OptiMax] and other variables but no conclusion as to results.

Jimh, can you assist?

jimh

Re: 190 OUTRAGE, VERADO 150: Propeller for Rough Water

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:14 pm

My first effort to assist has been to move this thread to PERFORMANCE.

I have only tried one instance of a Mercury REVOLUTION4 propeller, and I found that changing to the REVOLUTION4 in the same pitch (17-pitch) as the existing three-blade propeller resulted in the engine speed dropping dramatically. On that basis, my experience corresponds with your comment that you must choose the REVOLUTION4 pitch to permit the engine to maintain its recommended full-throttle range.

I have also tried two instances of the Mercury MIRAGEplus propeller. In the first test, the propeller did not deliver good bite; it seems to lose grip in rough water. But in a second test, on the same boat but behind a different engine with a different gear case design, the MIRAGEplus has been my propeller of choice and has never ventilated or blown-out, no matter what sort of seas we have been in, and I can confirm we have been in a few instances of rather rough seas.

I don't think the REVOLUTION4 was originally made in a 15-pitch version, but later that model was added to the line. I suspect it has become popular. I think Boston Whaler used it as the OEM propeller on several models.

Propeller outcome is quite variable, but since there already may be some test data for your boat from Boston Whaler, you may be guided by their choice of pitch.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Also, I believe the Mercury REVOLUTION4 propeller has the Performance Vent System (PVS) hub. You could experiment with various vent openings to fine tune the propeller pitch. I have not really been a fan of PVS, but it appears that it could allow a propeller of higher pitch to be used if the hub were vented to take off some of the strain of accelerating the propeller at lower engine speeds.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:55 am

Another problem with a Mercury REVOLUTION4 propeller: its rather significant weight. It will require use of an advanced plastic hub coupling. If you use a REVOLUTION4 with the standard FLO-TORQ II coupler, there will be an enormous CLUNK when shifting. For more advice on alternative FLO-TORQ couplers to reduce CLUNK, such as the FLO-TORQ IV coupler, see this very comprehensive and extensively illustrated article and follow-on discussion from the archives of the OLD FORUM at:

Flo-Torq Adapters
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005155.html

also see some very insightful first-hand experiences with FLO-TORQ IV hubs from Tom Clark and others in:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005464.html

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005785.html

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005464.html

The FLO-TOR IV hub coupling costs about $75 or more. This may be a further consideration in the selection of a REVOLUTION4 propeller, as this will be an added cost of using that propeller.