1995 OUTRAGE 19 II, Johnson 150 Ocean Runner

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
claytonb78

1995 OUTRAGE 19 II, Johnson 150 Ocean Runner

Postby claytonb78 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Hello Everyone. I am the proud owner of a 1995 Outrage 19 II which is powered by an incredibly reliable c.1995 Johnson 150-HP Ocean Runner. I love this engine, and she has a VIPER 14.5 x 19 stainless steel three-blade propeller. Engine speed at WOT is 4500 to 5500 RPM.

With a half-full fuel tank, two people, and gear, full-throttle engine RPM is only about 4,500, and boat speed is about 38-MPH on calm waters. I can't seem to get any higher no matter what I do. I'm worried I could be stressing my motor a little with lower RPM, or that there's more efficiency to be had. Should I consider a different propeller? If so, any recommendations?

Also, I was curious: would a four-blade propeller be better? I'm pretty happy with my performance but if I were to get a new propeller, is four-blade better than three-blade?

Thank you.

P.S. First time post for me though I've been using this website for Whaler advice for years.

jimh

Re: 1995 OUTRAGE 19 II, Johnson 150 Ocean Runner

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Usually you want the full-throttle engine speed to be in the upper half of the suggested range for normal boat operating conditions. If you normally operate with lots of fuel, a crew of two, and plenty of gear aboard, and the Johnson 150-HP OceanRunner only hits 4,500-RPM at full throttle with that load, that seems like you are at the very bottom of the recommended range.

Reducing the propeller pitch by two-inches to a 17-pitch should result in a higher engine speed at full throttle, probably about 400 to 500-RPM higher by the usual rule of thumb. You might try a 17-pitch three-blade stainless steel propeller.

The VIPER propeller is really made for boats that run faster than 38-MPH. A propeller from the REBEL line (from Evinrude) or the MIRAGEplus from Mercury Marine might be more appropriate.

Some time ago I recall that a friend switched to a four-blade Mercury propeller with his OUTRAGE 19 II and 150-HP engine, and he liked the results. I believe he used a Mercury 17-pitch VENSURA SPORTS-Series propeller. One of the effects of this particular four-blade propeller was improved stern lift.

To fit a Mercury propeller on your OMC engine you will need to select the proper FLO-TORQ hub adaptor system. This can be a bit tricky so get some help with it to make sure you get the optimal hub kit, if you indeed try that Mercury propeller.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 pm

I own the same model Boston Whaler as your 19 Outrage II, with a 1992 Yamaha 150-H two-stoke-cycle outboard. The specified full-throttle operating range of this engine is the same as your Johnson 150. With the boat fairly heavily laden, we are able to spin the Yamaha 150 up to 5,300-RPM or so, attaining top speeds in the 43 to 44-MPH range.

We are using a Mercury Marine OFFSHORE four-blade stainless steel propeller, 14.5 diameter x 17 pitch, part number 48-825898A46 17P. Mercury has since renamed this model line of propellers, and now calls them VENSURA rather than OFFSHORE, but I believe the part number has remained the same.

mkelly

Postby mkelly » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 pm

I also own [a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 19 II] boat. Until my 150 Mercury blew up, I was running a 19-pitch propeller. It may have been a MIRAGE propeller, [The engine] turned only about 5,000-RPM at wide open throttle. I probably would have been wise to drop to 17-pitch.

Not mentioned in this post so far is mounting height of the engine. You want to mount the engine as high as you can to optimize performance. If it's down, and you come up two holes, I bet you would pickup 400-RPM without touching the propeller. Check that.

Weigh it in with your propeller decision making. I raised mine a couple years ago. I was happy with the decision.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:56 pm

I do not agree with the recommendation to mount the engine as high as you can. Not all engines, boats, and propellers can function well if the engine is mounted as high as it can be. That is why they give you four or five different mounting height hole sets. A good place to start is with the engine mounted one-hole up. Then experiment from there.