1999 OUTRAGE 18, Yamaha F150

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
mizar

1999 OUTRAGE 18, Yamaha F150

Postby mizar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

I recently purchased a 1999 OUTRAGE 18 with a 2010 Yamaha F150. What performance can I expect?

Thanks in advance.

jimh

Re: 1999 OUTRAGE 18

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Please check the year and model. In 1999 I do not believe Boston Whaler made an OUTRAGE 18.

In model-year 2000 there was an OUTRAGE 18 model. It was rated for a maximum of 200-HP and minimum of 115-HP.

mizar

Postby mizar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 am

Serial number ends in 99. Perhaps considered a 2000?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I think you must mean the hull identification number (HIN) ends in 99. The serial number is usually a consecutive numbering of the hulls, also called the stencil number, and the last two digits would not indicate the year of production.

If the HIN ends in 99, and assuming the HIN is in the "new" format, then the model year is 1999. Perhaps the OUTRAGE 18 did not make it into the 1999 catalogue. It does appear in the 2000 catalogue.

A c.2000 OUTRAGE 18 is quite different from the classic-era OUTRAGE 18. The newer boat has the Accu-Trak hull and is substantially heavier. The horsepower rating allows a maximum of 200-HP and recommends a minimum of 115-HP. The c.2000 OUTRAGE 18 has a hull weight of 2,000-lbs.

Using the internet wayback machine, I could not find a snap shot of the Whaler website with information about this hull, and thus cannot point to any published performance reports about it. On the basis of the hull weight, I suspect that performance with a four-stroke-power-cycle engine like a Yamaha F150 would be adequate, but not outstanding.

To make an informed estimate of top speed potential, I use Crouch's method with the following data:

WEIGHT = 3,500-lbs, based on the hull weight of 2,500-lbs, plus the weight of the engine, fuel, gear, and crew; I think this is a low estimate;

POWER = 150-HP, based on the advertised horsepower of the F150

HULL CONSTANT = 180, a typical figure for a Boston Whaler boat with a moderate V-hull design

Using Crouch's method, the top speed calculates to 35-MPH.

Generally the perception of performance is related to how easily the engine can accelerate the boat. That's what most people are referring to when they talk about "performance." Acceleration of the boat is a function of two curves:

--the propeller power curve, which describes how much power is needed to turn the propeller of a particular boat at various propeller shaft speeds, and

--the engine power curve, which describes how much power is available from the engine at various engine rotation speeds

In order for the boat to be able to accelerate, the engine must have more power available than is required to turn the propeller shaft. There is no way to know exactly these two parameters for the particular boat and propeller and the particular engine discussed here. In general, naturally-aspirated four-stroke-power-cycle engines of modest displacement are not known for developing excess horsepower in their mid-range rotation speeds--in other words, not known for having great mid-range power for acceleration under load.

For more about propeller power curves, see my article in the REFERENCE section on that topic. It contains several graphs of engine and propeller power curves which will help you understand how they relate and how easily an engine can accelerate a boat (i.e. what you probably are asking about as "performance") can be assessed or predicted.

Propeller Power Curve
Computing the load of a propeller

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/propellerPowerCurve.html

The article contains some engine power curves for a Yamaha F150 that were taken from published data.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 pm

MIZAR--since you have already purchased the boat, perhaps you can perform some sea trials and report on the performance that was actually obtained. It will be interesting to see how the boat's maximum speed compares with the prediction I made using Crouch's method; also, give your impressions on how easily the Yamaha F150 engine can accelerate this boat under heavy loading.