Evinrude Dropping Electronic Shift and Throttle from E-TEC First-generation; and more news

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
jimh

Evinrude Dropping Electronic Shift and Throttle from E-TEC First-generation; and more news

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Based on a comment from a generally well-informed source of information, it appears Evinrude will be dropping the option to have electronic shift and throttle (EST) controls on their legacy E-TEC (or first generation) engines. Previously it was possible to order certain models of E-TEC engine in the legacy line with the engine configured at the factory for digital controls. These engines were denoted by the prefix DE in their model designations. According to the latest comment on this situation, the factory has no inventory on hand for DE model engines and plans not to make any more.

If this information is correct--and I have every reason to believe it is--it means the newer generation of E-TEC G2 engines will be the only engines available with EST controls. (But there will still be the option of having EST re-fitted to a E-TEC legacy engine at the dealer; the conversion kit parts are still available.) The decision may be based more on the market demand and pricing. A legacy E-TEC with the EST option may have been very close in price to an E-TEC G2 with its standard EST controls included. Making the legacy E-TEC line available with only mechanical controls may also be a good way to differentiate the legacy engines and G2 engines in the product line.

Extrapolating this change, I also have to wonder how long before production of legacy E-TEC will stop in the power ranges that overlap with the G2 engines. By all accounts the introduction of the G2 E-TEC in the 150-HP and higher range has been extremely well received and the engines have tended to be flawless in their performance. For Evinrude to move to production of only G2 engines in these horsepower range would make sense.

Finally, adoption of the Evinrude E-TEC G2 as an option on some premium boat brands which have been using Yamaha as an exclusive engine option is also perhaps in sight in the near future. This speculation is not quite a sure as my earlier comments, but it would not be beyond belief to see coming soon.