Prop Perplexed

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Todd

Prop Perplexed

Postby Todd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 am

After many years of Lake Michigan boating in a 38' Sea Ray Sundancer I have downsized and am fulfilling a lifelong dream of owning a trailer-able 2003 16 Dauntless with a Mercury 115 Four Stroke. It took a year to find it but I have one coming from Florida equipped the way I want it and only 112 hours.

It has the standard 13 1/8 x 16 Vengeance propeller, and I've read on this forum (Marlin 9/24/06) a much better choice is the Trophy Plus 13-3/4 x 17. Does anyone know if that is still a good option for an upgrade? Or, have any other suggestions? I like to have a back-up propeller and would keep the Vengeance for that purpose.

I really enjoy reading the great advice folks on this forum offer and appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Jefecinco

Re: Prop Perplexed

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 am

Todd,
Congratulations! The Dauntless 16 and later 160 Dauntless were excellent boats. We owned a 1999 Dauntless 16 for about ten years. It was virtually identical to your "new" Dauntless with the possible exception of the "notched" hull and power. Our Dauntless was powered with a 1999 115 HP Evinrude two stroke DI FICHT engine, the forefather of the current E-TEC engine series.

With the help of Continuous Wave we were able to dial in the propeller choice perfectly. Ultimately we installed a Stiletto four blade propeller. We no longer have the records for the boat so I can't provide the exact propeller specifications. However, if you do a search of the "old site" for "Dauntless 16 and propeller" you will probably find our old posts. If a date bracket can be included in the search I suggest 1999 through 2000 be used.

Stiletto Propellers is no longer in business as the company was purchased, I believe, by Yamaha. I suspect that despite the differences between our old FICHT two stroke and your Mercury four stroke the propeller we used may be a good fit. I also suspect that a very close replacement for our Stiletto remains available.

Hopefully the site's propeller gurus who are far more knowledgeable will chime in with their always useful advice.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:32 am

Butch -

You have a 14 3/4 X 15 four blade Stiletto Bay.

I found it in this thread:
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007999.html

Bob K.. (a.k.a Marlin) still has Dauntless but is fighting 5 foot itis. I will contact him offline and ask him to offer his comments.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Todd, congratulations on the new boat! I also have a 2003 Dauntless 160 that I purchased new; I wonder how far apart they were on the shop floor.

There's a seemingly endless number of props to consider. I tried a few on my boat some years ago, and you can see my report at http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004868.html (I was "Marlin" at the time on the old forum). I'm still running that Trophy Plus today with no problems. It's a great performer with good low-end power. I gave up a tiny bit of speed at the top end, but I can probably count the number of minutes that I've run open throttle on my fingers, so no real loss there.

Since Jefecinco and one or two other people moved on to other boats, I'm probably the longest-owned 160 Dauntless on the forum. There's not too much I haven't figured out about this boat, so feel free to ask anything. I only visit here now and again though.

Best other changes to the boat in 14 years:
1) Lower unit hydrofoil, though trim tabs would be even better
2) BayStar hydraulic steering
3) Bow dodger (Mills canvas from the 190 Nantucket/Outrage, see reference article at http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/shelter.html)

Other than those things, the boat is pretty perfect, for what it is. As Phil mentioned I'm feeling the desire for a 210 Dauntless, but for now the 160 soldiers on!

Thanks for the email about this thread, Phil!

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Todd

Postby Todd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks to all for the replies, information, and encouragement.

Bob, this boat is equipped with a hydrofoil (not sure the brand) on the lower unit and Teleflex hydraulic steering. I think the bow dodger is really neat and will show that to the wife, might be a nice option to consider in the future. My Sea Ray had trim tabs which I used extensively when on plane, since it had inboards (v drives) that was the only way to trim the boat for lake conditions. I am interested to see if the combination of the hydrofoil and trimming the outboard will accomplish the same improvement in performance, ride, and efficiency in the Dauntless.

Butch & Phil, thanks for the input, I'll see what Stiletto props are available as an alternative to the Trophy Plus.

I look forward to future conversations.

Todd

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”