1988 SUPER SPORT 15 Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
finz2right

1988 SUPER SPORT 15 Re-power

Postby finz2right » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 am

[Nota bene: this thread has been moved to PERFORMANCE so it can join the many other discussions about re-powering of classic Boston Whaler boats--jimh]

What say you [for the choice of a new outboard engine to re-power a 1988 SUPER SPORT 15?] I'd like to see similar performance to the 70-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engines we have run in the past on [SPORT 15] hulls. On a previous SPORT 15 we ran a Yamaha 70 two-stroke-power-cycle engine. On this [1988 SUPER SPORT 15 there] has been similar--okay not quite--performance with a Mercury 70 that was dying a painful death when we picked it up. [Readers should give their] thoughts. I have plenty of dealers around for Yamaha, Mercury, or Evinrude.

A Mercury 60 COMMAND LEG or STANDARD sounds like the least expensive engine for re-power. The E-TEC 60 is next. The Yamaha 60 or 70 is the most expensive.

[Again, readers should give their] thoughts.

El Rollo

Re: Ti1988 SUPER SPORT 15 Re-power

Postby El Rollo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:36 pm

I also have a 1988 Boston Whaler 15 that I rebuilt. It was originally powered with a 70 Yamaha 2-Stroke, which I replaced with a new Yamaha F70 4-Stroke. I am 100% satisfied with my choice, and have never had a single concern with the new motor. As you've probably heard so often, it runs very quiet, and is very smooth idling. The fuel mileage is great, and it is a pleasure to operate. I have a 5" manual jack plate on mine, and I played around with a few different propellers before finally settling on one that best suited my needs.

It seems to me that all manufacturers are making great outboard motors these days. Based on your needs and expectations you really can't go wrong with any current model from 50hp to 70hp.

If I had to offer one bit of advice, it would be to consider not just the weight of the motor you select, but the load you plan on carrying on board. If you are going to set up the boat minimally, then a 50-60 hp may work well for you. If you plan on carrying additional weight, pulling skiers, tow-behind's, or are looking for top end performance', then I would recommend 60-70 hp. Keep in mind that the classic 15 Boston Whaler tends to be a little weight-sensitive. Good Luck

jimh

Re: 1988 SUPER SPORT 15 Re-power

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm

My thoughts: get an E-TEC 60-HP.

Another thought: you just missed a great promotion on the E-TEC, which offered a 10-year-warranty, or subsidized rigging, or free-rigging, or some combinations of those three. Check with the Evinrude dealer to see what incentives are still being offered.

jimh

Re: 1988 SUPER SPORT 15 Re-power

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

I also had this thought a few minutes later: there is also recent discussion about re-power of 15-foot hulls; see

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1976