Outrage 25 re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
MTU

Outrage 25 re-power

Postby MTU » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 am

Hello. I am thinking of buying and re-powering an Outrage 25 that curently has an older single Yamaha 250 Ox66 two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

What is the optimal choice for an Outrage 25 boat?

Consider that the boat is mainly used as a fishing boat and family boat.

Would it make sense to service and keep the present engine?

Consider that I will use the boat for less than 50 hours a year. I appreciate your comments--Michael

macfam

Re: Outrage 25 re-power

Postby macfam » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 am

We had a 250 OX66 on our 25-footer--powerful engine. Top speed approaching 45-MPH. That’s the good news.

That engine is not economical with fuel, and at harbor and trolling speeds it is a smoking, stinking 2-stroke. If the wind is from the aft quarter, then your crew will complain of stinky blue smoke; we lived it. We sold that boat with the OX66.

An Outrage 25 is ideal for an 250 E-TEC, or a 250 four-stroke.

I believe ANY brand today builds a superior outboard. Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda and Evinrude. Overall service from a trustworthy dealer is JUST as important as the brand, maybe more. The EVINRUDE G2 is impressive, but the style of the G2 and Mercury Verado’s are non-traditional for a traditional 25 Boston Whaler hull design. But it wouldn’t stop me from purchasing.

You’ve great choices to re-power. Here on Cape Cod, Yamaha owns the industry. Dealers and service everywhere.

Suzuki and Mercury follow behind.

From everything i’ve seen and heard, Suzuki has been on a major technical improvement move for the last several years and are serious contenders.
Good luck making your investment!!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 am

Suzuki has also been very competitive with their pricing and warranty. In the Alabama coastal area many commercial watermen and guides have been repowering with Suzuki in place of the previously widely favored Yamahas. These are people who depend upon their engines to make a living. They also repower much more often than do the rest of us.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:21 pm

A new outboard engine in the 250 to 300-HP range will be more than $20,000 in total installation cost. At 50-hours per year you will never recover the expense in saved fuel cost.

Buy any new 250 to 300-HP engine that your best local dealer sells. That is, first pick the dealer you want to do business with, because he will be a very important element in the process. You need a dealer you like, you trust, and who can provide best possible support and service after the sale.

MTU

Postby MTU » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you for the good replies!

I actually considered bad fuel economy vs the high investment for a repower. But I believe the BW 25 is for sure on its way to become a modern classic and therefore worth the investment.

I should have added that I am writing from Europe - we have a small BW enthusiast scene over here -mostly in Italy.
There are some companies in Italy who are specializing in restorations of classic Whalers. Many of their repower projects go along with a single 250+HP Yamaha 4 stroke.

I recently tested a ETEC 175 on a 20 feet RIB and became quite a fan for this engine. Great torque, low on fuel consumption and no smoke. Plus the ETEC would fit quite well from a design and weight perspective.

Not sure though about [E-TEC engine] durability. Has anybody experience on that?

Greetings from Europe

Michael

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:16 am

I have a model year 2010 E-TEC 225-HP engine. It has been in service from July 2009. There have been no problems in the nine years of use and 460-hours of running time.