Kicker for classic Montauk 17

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
fly by night

Kicker for classic Montauk 17

Postby fly by night » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 pm

I have a classic Montauk 17. I am considering buying a kicker. I know that a long shaft model is required, but the owner's manual doesn't recommend any horsepower. [Give me a horsepower] recommendation.
FBN
Maryland and South Carolina
1985 Montauk
75 Yamaha Four Stroke

Jefecinco

Re: Kicker for classic Montauk 17

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 am

Is the purpose of a kicker on your Montauk to save fuel or wear on your main engine while trolling or is it for "get home" power in case your main fails?
Butch

frontier

Postby frontier » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Stern weight is a problem, especially with your Yamaha F75 a 366-lbs. Consider the Honda 2.3-HP long-shaft mounted right on the transom. It only weighs 31-lbs.

[NOTA BENE: the preferred abbreviation for weight in avoirdupois pounds in the forum is "lbs"; do not use the octothorpe or number sign.--jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Exactly where in this thread is the mention that the boat under discussion has a Yamaha F75?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 pm

It is in the OP's signature.

[Display of the signature is a user-preference; many users choose not to see the signature of other users. I would not count on all readers having set their preferences to show signatures as a way to convey important information about a discussion--jimh]
Butch

fly by night

Postby fly by night » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Yes, I'm running a Yamaha F75 and stern weight is a problem. The [engine splash well] scupper holes are already slightly below water. The reason for the kicker would strictly be for peace of mind, not fuel savings or trolling.
Thanks,

FBN
FBN
1985 Montauk
75 Yamaha Four Stroke

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Given the reliability of your Yamaha four stroke engine I would pass on the kicker, especially in view of the existing problem with stern weight.
Butch

Whal

Postby Whal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:31 am

At 366-lbs for your F75 Yamaha, a kicker is out of the question IMO; there is already too much weight on the back of the Montauk 17. If your battery is in the rear of your boat I would move it under the console to transfer some of the weight. Also a Honda 2.3 hp is not enough horsepower as a backup, though it might be enough to troll with. I have a Tohatsu 6-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine on my 1999 Alert 17, and it will push the boat to 6.1-MPH. I don't think the Honda 2.3-HP would come close to that, and with currents and tides you might not even keep from losing ground with a engine that small. My previous kicker was a Mercury 9.9 and I got 6.4-MPH max. Unless an engine will get your boat on plane you will only get hull speed out of it, which on my Alert 17 [is about] 6-MPH.

fly by night

Postby fly by night » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was already thinking about moving the battery to the console to try to get some of the weight off of the stern. I guess I will give up on the idea of a kicker, although I do have an old 5-HP Mariner (made by Yamaha) that I have been thinking about repairing when I get a chance.

Also thanks to Jim for introducing me (through his editorial comment) to a few new words/terms including avoirdupois, NOTA BENE, and octothorpe. An internet search of the last term led me to the interesting history of the word. http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archi ... real.story Who knew?

Chuck
FBN
1985 Montauk
75 Yamaha Four Stroke

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 pm

chuck that was educational regarding the # sign
Thanks.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 am

FLY-BY-NIGHT--it is my pleasure to share a few new words with my lotic friends.

TransFueler

Postby TransFueler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 am

My classic Whaler; "Smirk" is the superb and coveted Super Sport Limited 17 model. It is outfitted with a rather portly Johnson-Suzuki 90 EFI four-cycle engine, weighing in at a hefty 416 lbs. I just finished relocating the dual batteries to under the port console, which balanced her out nicely. I also moved the two nine-gallon tanks forward a bit, under the rear seat. At rest, she sits slightly stern low, and laterally level. The "well" drains are under water when at rest by a couple inches.

I also added a Doel-Fin, which helps her pop up on plane far more quickly than before. On plane, trim the bow up a bit, and she cruises effortlessly.

The Johnson-Suzuki 90 EFI four-cycle engine idles almost silently, and has excellent acceleration.

My pal loaned me his Mercury 7.5 two-stroke to try it out. It didn't seem to lower the stern much, if at all. It power was ok, but often hard to start.

I'm also interested in adding a kicker and have pretty much decided that an 8 to 9.9-HP two-stroke is the ticket. After having a number of small pull-start outboards over the years, I vastly prefer an electric start model, though they are much less common.

Comments, suggestions or complaints about adding a nice two-cycle kicker to Smirk?
1987 17 Super Sport Limited
2003 Johnson/Suzuki 90 Four Stroke EFI

fly by night

Postby fly by night » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 pm

jimh wrote:FLY-BY-NIGHT--it is my pleasure to share a few new words with my lotic friends.

Dictionary result for lotic
    /ˈlōdik/

adjective: (of organisms or habitats) inhabiting or situated in rapidly moving fresh water.
I hope inhabitants of rapidly moving salt water also provide some pleasure. :)
FBN
1985 Montauk
75 Yamaha Four Stroke

fly by night

Postby fly by night » Fri May 31, 2019 8:30 pm

TransFueler wrote:I'm also interested in adding a kicker and have pretty much decided that an 8 to 9.9-HP two-stroke is the ticket.

What did you end up doing regarding a kicker on your boat?

Recently I saw (a photo of) 15-footer with a 9.9 HP kicker; it didn't appear horribly stern heavy.
FBN
1985 Montauk
75 Yamaha Four Stroke