MONTAUK 17 E-TEC 90

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
drewh

MONTAUK 17 E-TEC 90

Postby drewh » Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 am

Good morning all, I am looking for a little advice.

I've just re-powered my 1989 Montauk with an Evinrude E-TEC 90-HP GEN-2 three-cylinder engine and want to fit a VIPER propeller very soon. I mounted the engine as high as possible following the good advice on this forum ready for that propeller.

We ran a sea trial yesterday in flat water, with the standard propeller that came fitted: a 13-3/8 diameter 19-pitch. To accelerate away the propeller ventilates unless it is trimmed right down, but once away [can be] trimmed one-third out.

Engine speed is 5,500-RPM with two 80-kg passengers and 25-litres of fuel on board, so a bit lighter than usual. The MONTAUK 17 runs flat in the water so not much bow lift available, I can trim to the max without problems although control at the helm does get a bit flighty. I don't have any speed information but its a lot quicker than my old Yamaha F50. This level of perceived performance is a surprise to me given the advice I've seen about using only a 17-pitch VIPER.

My dealer will not supply test props so the new one is mine to spec and indeed get wrong.

Is the 17-pitch Viper equivalent to the 19-pitch standard propeller in pitch?

Will the Viper likely give more bow lift?

Bow lift would be an advantage in rougher conditions as long as it is not an extreme effect.

Andy

jimh

Re: MONTAUK 17 E-TEC 90

Postby jimh » Mon May 21, 2018 8:08 am

Andy--where did you get a GEN-2 90 E-TEC? If there is such an engine, I must have slept through the announcement and release of it. As far as I know, and according to the Evinrude website, the E-TEC G2 is only available in 150 to 300-HP models. On that basis, I think you must have a legacy E-TEC 90.

There is no "standard propeller" for the E-TEC 90. The propeller you have now is something the dealer fitted.

Give us more information about the present propeller. What brand, model, material, and so on.

It is hard to get bow lift when the engine mounting is extremely high. Good bow lift often comes from propellers with blade rake.

Without any speed data it will be impossible to assess the performance.

There should be several reports about the performance of a MONTAUK 17 with a legacy E-TEC 90 in the archives.

The target engine speed at full-throttle should be mentioned in the owner's manual and in an article in REFERENCE. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ETEC_EngineRPM.html

The optimum engine speed is shown there as 5000 to 5200.

drewh

Postby drewh » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am

Hi Sorry my lack of clarity I assumed G2 as its brand new , happy to accept its a legacy version. The engineers wanted it to rev to 5500 as a max with the boat light on trial, it is clear with the boat normally loaded that its optimum rev range is indeed up to 5200 with a real sweet spot at 5000.

The dealer told me this is the "standard Prop" perhaps he meant its just a standard type rather than a standard size ( diameter / pitch) whatever; its a BRP stock offering I'm not sure if its stainless or not (but will check) it is not got what I'd call a performance look ;-).

I will also get some GPS data on speed later this week if the weather is kind here in the uk.

I'll trawl those previous posts again in hope of an answer to my q's over relative pitch (rpm controlling to some extent) and bow lift.

Thanks so far.

Andy

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am

The "standard" propeller might be an aluminum three-blade. They're not bad propellers. I think the VIPER is a propeller designed for speed, and, of course, is a polished stainless steel propeller. The VIPER probably has more blade rake that the propeller you have now. This tends to enhance bow lift. Personally, I find stern lift more useful.

Here is a link to about 50 prior articles that came up on a search:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou ... gle+Search

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Dealers "add" a propeller to the invoice. Usually it is a basic OEM aluminum prop.

Buyers don't realize that the prop is not included and take the "added" prop as "standard" since it is the dealer's default prop for that engine.

Prop recommendations from Whaler owners with that engine who have done the testing include:

13-7/8" x 17" BRP Viper
13-1/4" x 17" SST (2 holes up)
13-1/4" x 17" Turbo 1

I would trade in the barely used aluminum for the Viper or keep that the aluminum as a spare.

Personally, it really steams me that Dealers "add" a basic prop on a $9000 outboard rather than go just a bit further with a stainless or painted stainless prop.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

drewh wrote:...I assumed G2 as [it is] brand new..

There may be a 90-HP E-TEC G2 engine available in several months, but at this moment the available 90-HP is the legacy E-TEC--but it's a great engine in my opinion. It is very well designed and just about the perfect engine for a MONTAUK re-power, as evidenced by the many other owners who have chosen it.

drewh

Postby drewh » Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 pm

So a bit more information. The motor is on the highest mounting position and the prop part number is 766184 it's 13.2 by 19 pitch. I think the prop is blacked stainless.
Does that help at all with my question.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 23, 2018 5:14 pm

drewh wrote:... part number is 766184...

As an Evinrude part number, that number is an ICON Pro RPM gauge.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

What does the sales order say for the propeller? I would think that for $9,000 or more, the slip should tell you what you purchased. If not, I would ask the seller.

As for mounting, is it three-holes-up like this diagram:
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=739

When starting off, it is typical practice to have the engine trimmed-in all the way. After attaining displacement trim-out until the wake is flat and the steering wheel gets light.When coming off plane, trim back in.

As for performance, do some wide open throttle (WOT) runs back and forth across current and wind, and note top RPM and the boat speed at that time with GPS. Note passenger count, weight, fuel, gear, and etc.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003