Newport 17 Re-power: E-TEC Model Designators

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Marc-B

Newport 17 Re-power: E-TEC Model Designators

Postby Marc-B » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I have a 1979 Newport 17 commercial hull, with original Mercury 80-HP with tilt and trim, and original trailer, all in very good shape. I am just getting worried motor will fail me at the worst possible time. The [advantages and disadvantages] of Yamaha F70 compared to the Evinrude E-TEC 90 have been discussed at great length. Both are on my shopping list.

I just got a quote on a new in-stock 2014 E-TEC 90 including rigging and 7-year warranty plus low percentage loan for $6,200. That price is converted from $9,200-Canadian dollars, and does not include propeller, installation, and cables. They can order me a newer E-TEC 90 for $7,700. Is there a difference between a 2014 and a current model?

Thanks
Marc-B

jimh

Re: E-TEC Model Designators

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Evinrude does not have a "2014" model, and has not used model years to designate models since 2012. To compare E-TEC engines, look at the model designator. For the E-TEC 90-HP model the model designators in post-2012 engines are AA, AB, and AF.

To determine if there is any difference between the two different engines that have been proposed to you for purchase, just check the model designators. If the model designators are the same, the engines are the same, no matter what their date of manufacture.

I used to maintain a listing of model changes for the E-TEC, but I stopped cataloguing the changes after 2012. There is nothing significant that my cataloguing stopped the same year the model year designators did; I just got busy with other endeavors. To learn the difference between, say, an AA model and an AF, ask your selling dealers to look at the dealer literature. Every model change is documented in an annual publication to dealers that details all the changes. In my opinion, a selling dealer ought to show a customer this literature and point out the changes.

Marc-B

Re: Newport 17 Re-power: E-TEC Model Designators

Postby Marc-B » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 am

Here is an update on this thread.

I was just about to commit to a 90hp ETEC and my wife put a stop to it and said, fix the old motor, buy a used one or sell the boat, spent a crappy weekend looking at used motors, not much choice and in no better shape than mine.

Then this week I get a call from an Evinrude dealer asking me when I will bring in my boat to get the motor installed, I had no clue what he was talking about.

My wife went out and closed a deal on a brand spanking new ETEC 90, all the cables and rigging, gauges, plus a Viper prop. 7 year warranty, she managed to close this for just under $10K Canadian, now I just have to spring for the install.

Spoke to the dealer several times this week and he has done some Whalers in the last few years and will water test with me and will start at 2 holes up and move up higher if needed and will try several Vipers with different pitch.

This weekend is much better and I have committed to my wife that I will go clothes shopping with her, all day.

I also have been handed a honey do list, need to get to it before the lakes thaw out.

The grin will just not go away.

Marc-B

porthole

Postby porthole » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:33 am

Kudos for you. And her, take her out for an extra dinner, maybe even a sappy movie night.

Don't think my wife would ever do that, would not know what to do. Usually she just shakes her head.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Goesinsnow

Postby Goesinsnow » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 am

So do you like [the E-TEC 90-HP engine on your Newport]? Did you mount [the E-TEC 90-HP engine] yet?

Marc-B

Postby Marc-B » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Not installed yet, I have removed old motor, filled the bolt holes, basically removed all the wiring in the boat other than the battery cables, removed all gauges and controls. Previous owner had made so many holes on the console, so I am re-facing the top of console with some leftover quarter-inch marine-grade mahogany plywood. I am on my second coat of at least seven coats of varnish.

Bringing in [the boat to the dealer] for installation of the engine next week; the lake close to the dealer still has some ice on it.

I will definitely report back once we have tested on the water, and I will include pictures.

Marc-B

Goesinsnow

Postby Goesinsnow » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Cool. Thanks for the update. I'm in the same process myself.