1976 Outrage 19 Re-power E-TEC 115

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Jaspell

1976 Outrage 19 Re-power E-TEC 115

Postby Jaspell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:28 pm

My 150-HP OceanPro caught fire [in September 2015], and now I am re-powering our 1976 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 19. I had been holding out for another 150-HP looper, but my connection called with news he has a 2010 Evinrude E-TEC [115-HP engine] for $3,800.
Can anyone speak to performance [of a 1976 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 19 with [a 2010 Evinrude E-TEC 115-HP] engine?

When I first bought the 1976 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 19 it had an old 1976 115-HP enigne, which I did not like at all. I loved the increased torque and power of the 150-HP. I am wondering if I will regret going back down in horsepower. Or, if the newer technology and weight reduction of the engine makes that a non-concern.

I would also like to know if the E-TEC is oil-on-engine injected? Or is it still premix in the tank? I did some reading on the engine and was not quite sure.

I also saw some mention of [the E-TEC engine] needing a special oil. I wonder, what the story with that was?

Finally, am I going to have to replace all controls and gauges on this change from looper to E-TEC?

Thank you in advance.

jimh

Re: 1976 Outrage 19 Re-power E-TEC 115

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:45 pm

I am not familiar with the term oil-on-engine injection. I do not recall hearing that term before. I am not sure what you mean by that term. I searched using GOOGLE for that term but could not find it used anywhere.

In an 2010 E-TEC the oil is never mixed with the gasoline fuel anywhere. The oil is delivered to the engine by an oil distribution system consisting of hoses and an injection pump. The oil is pumped to various injection points in the engine block. The rate of oil pumping is electronically controlled by the engine management module or EMM. The EMM injects oil at a rate generally proportional to engine crankshaft speed, varying with the type of oil being used, and the engine history of running time at various speeds. I don't know if that meets your criterion of oil-on-engine injection.

I don't think Evinrude has used pre-mixed oil and gasoline for their engines for three decades or more, since Evinrude introduced its oil-gasoline fuel mixing system called the VRO back in 1984, or 32-years ago. Just how old is your present engine? It must be pre-1984 if it uses pre-mixing of gasoline and oil.

The E-TEC engine can use the universal outboard engine TCW-III standard oil. If you choose to use an Evinrude premium oil, you will get better oiling, less ash, and less carbon. If you elect to change the engine management module setting to reflect exclusive use of an Evinrude special premium oil, called XD100, the oil usage will also be reduced from the normal oil rate due.

The mechanical control rigging is the same as Evinrude has used for decades.

The electrical rigging of the E-TEC uses the MWS rigging harness that has been standard with Evinrude from c.1996.

The E-TEC can use conventional gauges that work with earlier Evinrude outboard engines.

I have a 2010 E-TEC. When I first installed it, I used my existing Evinrude mechanical controls, all my existing gauges, but since my Evinrude electrical rigging was from before 1996, I got an adaptor that permitted using my old electrical harness with the new engine.

When rigging a new engine on an older boat--and I would consider a 1976 boat to be in the category of older boat as it is 40-years old--you should be very careful about re-using existing rigging in the fuel system and electrical system. If buying a modern engine it might be prudent to get some new fuel and electrical rigging to accompany the new engine. Modern engines are much more touchy about electrical power and fuel systems than 40-year-old outboard engines.