22 Guardian struggles to plane with 200-HP

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Clemhkg

22 Guardian struggles to plane with 200-HP

Postby Clemhkg » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi. I an posting on the forum for advice. We have a beautiful classic Outrage 20 with a Yamaha 200-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine—an amazing boat. But I always felt there is a lack of space.

I found and tried a Guardian 22. It is probably a 1993. I say probably as I was not able to locate any identification plate. This Guardian has a dive door.

During sea trials [the Guardian 22 boat] felt heavy, and despite the recent vintage Mercury Optimax 200-HP engine, [the GUARDIAN 22] was hard to get on the plane.

The propeller appeared too small: with a 17-pitch there was a ton of slip. The hull itself felt heavy.

Readers: tell me your experience on a Guardian compared to an Outrage.

Is the additional weight [of the Guardian] palpable?

[Could the weight of a Guardian] be somehow an inconvenience?

[Could the addition weight of a GUARDIAN cause] less performance?

Thanks—Clem

jimh

Re: 22 Guardian 200-HP

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm

A propeller pitch of 17 for a 200-HP engine on a heavy 22-foot boat sounds about right.

All weight increase causes reduced performance in any vehicle. Performance is a function of horsepower to weight ratio.

I am surprised that a modern 200-HP engine struggled to push a GUARDIAN 22 onto plane. Something was not right in that set-up.

macfam

Re: 22 Guardian struggles to plane with 200-HP

Postby macfam » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:05 am

“The propeller appeared too small: with a 17-pitch there was a ton of slip. The hull itself felt heavy.”
Can you describe what you mean by “there was a ton of slip”?
That may be it exactly. Your prop may have a “spun or slipping hub”. If that is the case, when there is enough resistance, the hub “slips” and you lose “traction”for the lack of a better term.
Can you get a local dealer to let you “test” a new 17” prop to see if there is a difference? Perhaps someone you know could “lend” you the appropriate 17” prop to try.
Do you have a tachometer on that boat?