190 MONTAUK: Trim Tabs and Jack Plate

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
JimHundley

190 MONTAUK: Trim Tabs and Jack Plate

Postby JimHundley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 am

I am contemplating the purchase of a new 190 Montauk to be used on the bays of the Gulf Coast and crossing big bays to get to the shallow flats for angling.

Q1: Would trim tabs and a jack plate be beneficial for running the shallows and improving the [acceleration to plane from a standing start]?

Q2: Would [trim tabs and a jack plate provide] additional benefits of improved fuel economy and a better ride?

The dealer can accommodate, but I am not confident that they have ever added these options to a 190 Montauk.

[GIve your] thoughts.

Thank you,
Jim

Jefecinco

Re: 190 MONTAUK: Trim Tabs and Jack Plate

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 am

We use our 190 Montauk in the same way you intend to use yours. We do not have trim tabs nor a jack plate installed and I've never considered them. About 95% of our fishing is inshore around Mobile Bay and the waters around Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. We fish the flats but use caution to avoid a hard grounding. We manage to get just about anywhere by trimming the engine up as needed. Our waters are very poorly marked so some local knowledge is useful. We have made a few soft groundings but by going slow in suspect waters we have never been stuck.

Our propeller is very highly polished as is our engine skeg from getting into the sand now and again. Almost every boat used inshore in our area has a polished skeg. It's just part of the experience.

Spend the money you save for a top end Multi Function Display and stainless steel propeller.
Butch

JimHundley

Re: 190 MONTAUK: Trim Tabs and Jack Plate

Postby JimHundley » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks, Butch. Makes sense to me. I have used your method forever.