Re-power NAUSET 16: Yamaha 90 or E-TEC 90

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Soho

Re-power NAUSET 16: Yamaha 90 or E-TEC 90

Postby Soho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I did search the forums for this topic, but given that Yamaha 90 [two-stroke-power-cycle] engines are not available anymore in the USA, there is less current chatter on this exact question. Here is my situation, and I would appreciate any succinct comments and input to assist in the decision making process.

Boat is 1969 Nauset. I bought in 1989 with a new Yamaha 90 on it, current engine, my second, is another Yamaha 90. Re-powered in 2000 and running like a champ since then, in salt water 100% of the time. 1121 hours, used weekly, but mostly as a jumper to other boats or short trips, under an hour running time. Never seen a mechanic, but plugs, impeller, and lower unit oil changed yearly. Starting to rattle a little bit--well a fair bit--but still runs. Rough at idle, but new plugs seems to have helped out. Trim and tilt main cylinder has developed a small leak at its piston, but I can live with it for now.

I think I would be better re-power as fixing current engine will cost probably $1500 or more for both items, and a re-power is not an "if" but a "when."

I live outside USA and can get the last Yamaha 90 the dealer will have ever, or get a 90 E-TEC for about 5-percent more, not a big deal in the grand scheme right now.

The Yamaha I know, I can work on, and has been a champ. The old one will be spare parts. The new Evinrude will have five-year warranty, I know the mechanics, and they are good guys; I use them for my 300-HP G2. Evinrude is about 60-lbs heavier, too, which is a small concern.

My concerns are that I do not know how good the Evinrudes are and it will be to the mechanics I suspect for most items. I know everyone has an opinion, but if in my position what would you do ?

Thanks in advance.

Phil T

Re: Re-power Montauk 17 - Yamaha 90 or Etec

Postby Phil T » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

While the E-TEC 90hp is a very good engine with many members reporting positive feedback, I personally would go with the "last" Yamaha 90hp offering.

My rationale is:

-reliable
-can DIY with parts
- cheaper
- no need to replace or adapt cables, harnesses, gauges etc.
- personal experience with model, no learning curve.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

dtmackey

Re: Re-power NAUSET 16: Yamaha 90 or E-TEC 90

Postby dtmackey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 pm

While the E-TEC 90 is a good engine, clean high quality fuel is a must for any direct-injected two-stroke engine.

[Soho] mentioned living outside the country and depending on where that is, service could be a concern, but [Soho] also mentioned knowing the mechanics and also owning a E-TEC G2 300-HP, so that should give him a good indication on Evinrude service and the ability to get quality repairs.

I have an E-TEC 250 and love the engine, but something about the simplicity of a two-stroke carburetor engine that doesn't rely on a high-tech fuel delivery system has always made me think that simple means less to go wrong and easier to fix without the need for software and other things.

[Soho] mentioned "last Yamaha 90" and I assume meant a two-stroke-power-cycle engine. This is a simple engine, can tolerate dirty fuel, and just keeps running and running, not to mention is lighter weight, which for the older Boston Whaler boats is a key factor.

I have a 15 Whaler and had both a carburetor Yamaha 70-HP and E-TEC 75-HP engine. I decided to keep the Yamaha and sell the E-TEC due to weight concerns.

D-

Mr T

Postby Mr T » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am

I owned [a NAUSET 16] and always felt it could use a lighter engine than the Evinrude 88 SPL I had on it.

Since [Soho] knows the Yamaha and it has run well on the setup, I recommend [Soho] purchase the same engine and re-use the controls and propeller.

Soho

Postby Soho » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks for the input all. I pulled the trigger on getting the Yamaha, the dealer came back with a very good offer including a trade in of 11% of the price ( on a 17 year old engine) and throwing in the 704 binnacle control ( @ $450) that I would have needed.

For what I use the boat for, it's the best value for me. Again, appreciate the input.