SPORT 15 60-HP

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
daveb

SPORT 15 60-HP

Postby daveb » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:42 pm

[For re-powering a Boston Whaler SPORT 15 and limiting the choices to] an E-TEC 60 or Honda 60, which would you choose?

Thanks--Dave B

flymo

Re: whaler sport 15 60 Etec or Honda 60?

Postby flymo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Both great motors. Have you priced them? I looked at the Honda but it was way more expensive than the F70 I ended up buying.

On the technical side, doesn't the E-TEC 60 switch between two exhaust paths at a certain RPM? That always seemed like a potential trouble spot but I have no idea if it has been so in practice. I like the easy winterizing of the E-TEC, for sure

jimh

Re: SPORT 15 60-HP

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 pm

flymo wrote:...doesn't the E-TEC 60 switch between two exhaust paths at a certain RPM?

I am generally familiar with the E-TEC engines, and I have never heard of any sort of switching exhaust path on the 60-HP model, on any of the two-cylinder in-line models, or on any of the three-cylinder in-line models. Can you point to any literature from Evinrude that supports your suggestion there is such a device?

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 am

Lighter with the same HP would seem to be a plus.

Which weighs more?

What is cost difference?

The 15 is a fantastic Whaler.

flymo

Postby flymo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:39 am

jimh wrote:
flymo wrote:...doesn't the E-TEC 60 switch between two exhaust paths at a certain RPM?

I am generally familiar with the E-TEC engines, and I have never heard of any sort of switching exhaust path on the 60-HP model, on any of the two-cylinder in-line models, or on any of the three-cylinder in-line models. Can you point to any literature from Evinrude that supports your suggestion there is such a device?

Jim, go the the eTec owner's group and do a search on "water valve 60" - that's all I know about it. After re-reading the articles, it turns out it's not a mechanical switch of the exhaust path, but rather solenoid-controlled water injection to change the exhaust tuning.
Last edited by flymo on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:08 am

OK--you have changed your mind and there is no such valve on the 60-HP. Then we agree?

The V4 E-TEC in certain models has a valve that alters the direction of the exhaust path, but not the the in-line engines. See the now ten-year-old white paper on the E-TEC at

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pauldawson ... EC_low.pdf

On pages 4 and 5 the V4 E-TEC engine exhaust is shown with the mechanical valve opening and closing to "switch between two exhaust paths" as you suggested.

On page 2 there is a diagram of the exhaust of the E-TEC 60. No valve in the exhaust. There is a water injection solenoid that is actuated by the EMM to cause additional water to be injected into the exhaust to cool it down at high RPM, but there is no mechanical valve that alters the exhaust path so as to "switch between two exhaust paths at a certain RPM," as you claimed.

The exhaust path on all outboard engines is a wet path, as engine cooling water is directed into the exhaust path for cooling. In the E-TEC 60 this is used to advantage by changing the amount of water introduced so as to change the density of the exhaust to enhance the engine performance. If having a wet exhaust path were something that was "a potential trouble spot" as you claimed, I think all water-cooled outboard engines would have that "potential trouble spot."

By the way, I would not be particularly worried about the addition of an electrical solenoid in the cooling water path, at least not any more so than I would be worried about the addition of overhead cam shafts, bearings, and intake and exhaust valves in a four-stroke-cycle engine. Overall the E-TEC has many fewer moving parts than a four-stroke-cycle engine.

BlueSmoke

Postby BlueSmoke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:10 pm

I have the Honda BF 60 on my 1977 sport 15. The engine had under 20 hours on it when i bought it with the boat in July ( i'm guessing 80-100 now). I could not be happier with the pair.

That being said my buddy's 15 with a late 1990's Johnson 70hp 2 stroke will beat it on top end speed, however even though I like to go fast in the right conditions, I never find myself wishing it was a 70. The 60 is plenty of power 99% of the time and its quiet and no vibrations.

I have no clue about fuel burn because it burns so little..... with under seat moeller tank it will last for days.