150 MONTAUK 60-HP Aluminum Propeller

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Bc55

150 MONTAUK 60-HP Aluminum Propeller

Postby Bc55 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 am

Hello. I have a 2010 15’ Montauk with a Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE with the original VENGEANCE 14-pitch propeller, Mercury part number 48-17314.

I am happy with the performance from that propeller, but I would like to purchase an aluminum propeller [because] the boat will be kept at a summer house on a shallow bay with a few family members using the boat. I would hate to have them damage the stainless steel VENGEANCE propeller, and more importantly the damage the SS propeller can do to the lower unit [because] it is not as forgiving.

Q1: Will an aluminum 14-pitch propeller [produce performance that is] similar to the VENGEANCE 14-pitch?

Q2: what diameter is the VENGEANCE?

Q3: Will any 14-pitch propeller fit the BigFoot propeller shaft?

Thanks

[Note: this thread has been moved to PERFORMANCE because it discusses the performance of Boston Whaler boats. The author has been notified that his thread has moved--jimh]

jimh

Re: 150 MONTAUK 60-HP Aluminum Propeller

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 am

Bc55 wrote:Q1: Will an aluminum 14-pitch propeller [produce performance that is] similar to the VENGEANCE 14-pitch?
With just 60-HP, the performance change when switching to an aluminum propeller will not be great.

Bc55 wrote:Q2: what diameter is the VENGEANCE?
You can measure that yourself. Or, search on the part number for the information to find many listing indicating the diameter is 13-3/8-inches.

Bc55 wrote:Q3: Will any 14-pitch propeller fit the BigFoot propeller shaft?
No. Propellers are not universal fits on any engine. The number of splines on the propeller shaft varies. The location and length of the splines varies. The length of the hub, and necessary thrust washers and propeller washers varies. Any propeller you intend to fit on your engine's propeller shaft must be specifically suited for that engine. This is often accomplished by using a field-replaceable hub system, such as the Mercury FLO-TORQ system. Many companies make propellers that use interchangeable hub kits allowing the propeller to be fitted to a variety of engines.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 am

Bc55 wrote:...I would like to purchase an aluminum propeller [because] the boat will be kept at a summer house on a shallow bay with a few family members using the boat. I would hate to have them damage the stainless steel VENGEANCE propeller, and more importantly the damage the SS propeller can do to the lower unit [because] it is not as forgiving.

A hard strike with an aluminum propeller can also cause damage to the outboard engine gear case. An aluminum propeller will generally always have damage to its blades from any sort of strike. A stainless steel propeller will survive many minor strikes without damage. Running the engine with a propeller that has blade damage can also cause damage to the gear case because of the imbalance in the propeller loading.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 am

damage the SS propeller can do to the lower unit [because] it is not as forgiving.

This is no longer a valid statement.

Leave the existing prop on the engine and go to the next item on your to do list.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am

Bc55 wrote:Hello. I have a ...VENGEANCE 14-pitch propeller, Mercury part number 48-17314.
This propeller uses the Mercury FLO-TORQ hub system. With different components the FLO-TORQ hub system permits this propeller to be used on many engines from other other manufacturers, and, conversely, permits many propellers from other manufacturers to be used on this engine.