1988 Montauk Evinrude Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
rlboeri

1988 Montauk Evinrude Re-power

Postby rlboeri » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:51 am

Good Morning All. I have a 1988 Montauk that needs repowering. Its 1988 Johnson 88 SPL just died. I am considering a new Evinrude E-TEC 90. Initially I was interested in the 90 H.O. four-cylinder. My reasoning for the four-cylinder rather than the three-cylinder is durability and longevity; the 90 H.O. is a de-tuned 115 and I think it should be longer lasting.

After going to the Boston Boat Show yesterday, I am not so sure. I have no idea what the 1988 SPL weighs, but a dealer told me that the 90 H.O. would cause the boat to be off trim or not sit right. He also said that he has installed many of the three-cylinder 90's and that they are all an excellent choice for the boat.

Can you all weigh in on what you think of the choice of a 90 H.O. vs the 90?

Is the dealer correct about the trim of the boat?

Looking for help. Thanks--Bob

Peter

Re: 1988 Montauk Evinrude Re-power

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Your 1988 SPL weighs about 300 lbs. The three-cylinder E-TEC 90 is about 320-lbs and the 90 H.O. is about 405-lbs. If I were in your position, I'd go with the three-cylinder model.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Bob, I've repowered a few 17s over the years with new 90-HP engines, one in 1987, and another in the 1990's. One was put on a 1971 Whaler and the other on a 1975 Whaler 17. Those motors weighed in around 315-lbs, if memory serves, and were a great match for my 17-footers, which by the way is a fabulous Whaler.

In looking at the new E-TEC 90 engines, they seem to weigh about the same as the 90-HP engines I bought new, while the new 90 H.O. looks to weigh about 400+ lbs. The weight difference then is around 75-lbs, or about what a battery would weigh.

Source: http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engines/e ... ifications

I kept my battery mounted right in front of my engine on the starboard side. Battery and motor: around 400 lbs. There were no problems that I noticed in performance, balance, and [the boat] was not too low in the stern to cause me any worry. I ran these boats many miles offshore plenty of times in the Florida Keys (in decent weather)--nothing crazy except the old fart driving. (:>

If you decide on the H.O., you could consider mounting your battery in the console for [better] weight distribution, which would be similar to having a regular 90 and a battery in the stern. You could always test this idea by adding 75-lbs in the stern now and observing the waterline and balance (at the dock,you said your current 90 is not operable).

The idea of a 90 H.O., which I think is tuned to give some degree of higher performance, could be a plus. Of course, price could be more, as well, so that could be something to think about.

I really like the 17, and have had many years of safe and pleasurable boating while owning one. Safety, Utility, Resale.

I did get a hankering to move up, like many of us do, and went with an 18 Outrage, and now an 18 Guardian with the dive door.

I mention this because about this time last year I asked a similar repower question on this forum, and Jim (moderator), as well as some other nice folks, too, were very helpful, patient, and gave me a lot of great advice, part of which that E-TEC had a great special going on. They have these specials from time to time on new engines and controls. This time last year I studied up on these engine and made my new purchase.

In the end, I decided on the new 150 E-TEC H.O., which cost a little more than the standard 150. I could not be more pleased with everything. Said all that to say I'm glad I got the H.O., as I think it gives me a performance edge, and also looks really cool - hah!

You didn't ask about the dollars but I'll volunteer a bit. I think the H.O. ended up costing like ten-percent more than the standard engine, and you know what? When I push that throttle down, the LAST thing I'm thinking about is that extra money I spent! I don't think about weight either, except when my wife yells at me for eating too much ice cream. Best, mav
Last edited by Maverick on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:54 am

I'm all in favor of bigger engines generally, but I've seen 400-lbs outboards on the Montauk, and I think the Montauk does not sit well with that weight on the transom. The classic Montauk was designed at a time when a 90 to 100-HP outboard weighed about 300-lbs.

One other thing to consider on the 90 three-cylinder versus the 90 H.O. four-cylinder is the remote oil tank. The 90 H.O. requires a remote oil tank. I believe that the 88 SPL was pre-mix and if so then you'll need to find some space for the oil tank.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:31 pm

I am an admirer of the E-TEC 90-HP three-cylinder in-line engine. I like to take off the engine cowling and admire the excellent design and construction of the engine, the crafty placement of all the components, the compact design, the close fitting cowling, and all the other aspects of this engine. I think Evinrude really has done a great job with the 90 E-TEC.

The concern about the maximum engine weight for a classic Boston Whaler MONTAUK 17 boat is a long-running theme in this forum and its predecessors. I believe that many owners have done some rationalization to convince themselves that larger and heavier engines do not affect the boat's trim or handling in detrimental ways.

I recommend you read these two older discussions on the topic of MONTAUK re-power:

Montauk 17: Re-power with 90-HP; Transom Weight Concerns
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005036.html

Storm Story: July 17, 2006, Manitoulin Island
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/013113.html

You might also read some of the articles found as result of a search for the words montauk and capsize.

A good method to evaluate the engine weight on the hull of a classic Boston Whaler boat is by observation of the transom splash well drains relative to the static waterline. The transom splash well drains are meant to allow water in the splash well to drain to the sea. If the engine weight is such that the transom splash well drains are below the water line, they no longer are working as intended, and this can be interpreted as a sign of too much weight on the transom.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Bob -

Nice to see you here. Been awhile.

I agree with Peter and Mav.

The 3 cyl. E-TEC is a fine motor. If you need more power, go with H.O. and move the battery to the console.

Phil
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:11 am

Phil,

It has been a while. Missed all of you guys. I appreciate the information. I am now leaning toward the 3 cylinder based on all of your recommendations. I am still wondering a bit about folks feelings regarding long term reliability of the 3 cylinder vs the 4 cylinder. My old 88 SPL lasted 27 years.

Bob

Whal

Postby Whal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:51 pm

I think you made a wise decision. A 320-lbs outboard is just right for a Montauk 17, 400-lbs is too much weight on the rear of a Montauk 17. I know this from experience. You should be very happy with the regular E-TEC 90.

Peter

Postby Peter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:36 pm

rlboeri wrote:Phil,

It has been a while. Missed all of you guys. I appreciate the information. I am now leaning toward the 3 cylinder based on all of your recommendations. I am still wondering a bit about folks feelings regarding long term reliability of the 3 cylinder vs the 4 cylinder. My old 88 SPL lasted 27 years.

Bob

In-line engines are just as reliable over the long term as the V4. They might even be more reliable given they are a simpler design. The new Evinrude E-TEC G2 V6 with its starboard-starboard design is essentially two 3-cylinder E-TECs sharing a common crankshaft.

crbenny

Postby crbenny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm

I've got the in-line three-cylinder and never felt I needed more power. No matter how much load you put on this combination, it never seems to be laboring. As far as longevity, the E-TEC 90 has been around for over a decade, it's sorted out, and it has a great track record. The 16 hull is tender with respect to weight, and the trim with the 320-lbs 90-HP is perfect. I can't imagine another 75-lbs to 100-lbs on the transom. Also, I can't help but wonder how much of the extra power of the V4 is necessary to haul around all that extra weight. My boat will break 45-MPH with three-cylinder 90, which is fast for this hull.

Remember, this isn't a Donzi Sweat-16, it's a tri-hull fishing boat and was never intended to go that fast. I love speed and horsepower, and I have never wanted for more than I've got, even when pulling a skier with three on board and the bimini over my head.

Also, someone made the point about the separate oil tank with the V4 on a boat with very limited storage. The tank under the hood is really nice and is plenty of reserve for extended operation. And what about fuel consumption? I have the original 6-gallon steel tanks and have never felt I needed to carry more in three years of operation.

Chris
Attachments
DSCF9011-1200.jpg
DSCF9011-1200.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 39127 times

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55 am

I like the unusual paint scheme on your engine.
Butch

crbenny

Postby crbenny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks. That's my attempt at a year-2000 Bearcat. I think it works well with the classic blue and mahogany interior boats. I explained the details not long ago;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=202&p=1264#p1264

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 39071 times
Attachments
033-1200.jpg
033-1200.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 39071 times

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:00 am

Chris--thanks for the input. One of my worries was that I didnt know if the 90 three-cylinder would be enough to pull up an adult skier out of the water. Thanks for answering that. I think you helped to seal my decision with a 90 instead of the 90 H.O.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I love this site for just this reason. I will let you know how it goes.

Bob

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:38 pm

I will echo the consensus. And add that even if the 3-cylinder 90 ETEC does not prove to be everything you needed as far as power/HP, that engine has got to be a very desirable engine on the resale market due to its power and relatively light weight. So, while not ideal, you could easily switch it out if you ended up needing more power, and the resale market should be very strong for a near-new the 3-cylinder 90 ETEC. In other words, this seems like a low-risk decision that you are unlikely to seriously regret no matter how it turns out.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Just wanted to follow up,

I just sealed the deal with a new E-Tec 90 for the Montauk. I got what seems to be a pretty admirable deal by buying the motor at the Boat Show in Boston from Eagle Marine. $8,200 for the motor and rigging, which includes the system check tachometer, the Xtreme cable package, a seven year warranty, AND a stainless steel prop. Labor for the installation of this package is $1,200 (seems pretty standard). I am also having them add a voltmeter ($80) and having them move the battery from the stern to the console (so it is accessible through the console but sitting on the deck rather than the console shelf). Seems like a pretty good deal. Anything else that should be done?

Again, thanks for all of your help and input. I just wish winter would end so I can use the darn thing...

Bob

crbenny

Postby crbenny » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Yes. Have [the installer] mount [the E-TEC 90-HP engine] at least two-holes-up. They will argue that it's too high. Trust all of us, they're wrong. The best propeller from BRP for that application is the Viper 17.--Chris

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:27 am

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Bob--I believe that when Chris recommended using "the Viper 17" propeller, what he meant to recommend was the VIPER 17-pitch TBX hub bushing right-hand rotation propeller from BRP Evinrude.

The VIPER defines the general series of three-blade propellers designed for good speed performance. The 17 defines the pitch. The TBX defines the propeller hub bushing design; the TBX is the latest design with a field replaceable hub and is illustrated below; the RH means right-hand rotation or standard-rotation. I think Chris meant to embody all of that when he referred to it as "the VIPER 17."

Evinrude describes the VIPER series as having the
ability to increase midrange speeds compared to their earlier cousins. Faster midrange speeds leads to improved fuel economy and a longer boating range. If you want speed, you want the Viper prop. It's longer swept blades and a larger diameter give this prop a better grip on the water, faster acceleration, and greater top end speed. Excellent on any recreational boat, from runabouts and cruisers to deck boats

Evinrude describes the TBX as follows:

TBX (Torsion Bushing Extreme) is designed to flex and cushion shock loads to help protect the lower unit drive train. Patented torsion sleeve and drive spline withstand extreme temperatures especially in high performance applications. A TBX prop hub kit comes with each propeller and the multi-piece design slips together keeping installation easy and simple

To better understand the TBX bushing, see the illustration below that shows the thrust washer, the field-replaceable torsion sleeve, and the propeller shaft drive spline fitting. Note how the splines of the propeller shaft drive spline fitting engage the replaceable torsion sleeve over a longer distance than most of the hub assemblies of this type.

TBX Hub Kit consisting of thrust washer, torsion sleeve, and propeller shaft drive spline.
Photo by the author.

The TBX propeller hub design is patented and protected by U.S. Patent 6,383,042 entitled "Axial Twist Propeller Hub" issued to BRP on May 7, 2002. The patent describes "a propeller assembly that includes an interchangeable drive sleeve, a resilient inner hub having a bore in which the drive sleeve is inserted, and a propeller including an outer hub in which the drive sleeve and resilient inner hub are inserted."

The essential elements and unique design innovations which allow the TBX to be protected by a patent are explained in greater length in the patent itself, which can be easily viewed with this link:

http://www.google.ch/patents/US6383042

The use of the TBX patented hub began after the VIPER series was first made, so you may also find some VIPER series propellers that are older and do not have the TBX hub system. I believe the TBX began to be used c.2006.

Evinrude propellers designed for use with the TBX hub have a mating bore cast into them that fits the torsions sleeve. Here is what that looks like:

Evinrude Cyclone series propeller, c.2006, showing bore design cast into hub.

Whether this bore is the same as used with competitors' propeller castings is not clear to me. It may very well be some sort of universal shape in common use.

As for the VIPER 17 being the best possible propeller from those made by Evinrude for your application, I cannot say, but I got that inference from Bob's original comment.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Regarding the nomenclature "V6" associated with the VIPER TBX propellers, this comes from the diameter of the propeller hub which is designed to match the gear case housing used on the Evinrude V6 engines. This same gear case is also used on the E-TEC 90-HP engine with 25-inch-shaft, even though the engine is only an in-line three-cylinder model.

As for the VIPER 17 being suitable for use on an E-TEC 90 on a MONTAUK 17, I cannot say for certain, but I am a bit surprised with that much pitch on such a large propeller.

If you are limited to buying only an Evinrude propeller, you should take advantage of a dealer participating in the Evinrude propeller test program. My local Evinrude dealer participates in this program. He has dozens of test propellers in stock available for loan for sea trials. Also, it is expected by Evinrude that their dealers will sea trial any boat on which they install an E-TEC to verify it has been set up with a proper propeller. You should expect that from any Evinrude dealer (and particularly from a dealer that is charing $1,200 for installation labor), and the dealer should try a few propellers to see how they fit the application. All that should happen before you have to plunk down cash on the counter to buy a propeller.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:57 am

Jim,

How the heck do you find the time to reply to everyone's posts in such detail? You are amazing.

Dropped the boat off at Eagle Marine in Sagamore Beach on Saturday for the repower. To Chris' post, they already knew about mounting the motor at least two holes up, so I was pleased. They also confirmed that the stainless steel prop is a Viper. They also gave me the option of taking two aluminum props rather than the Viper stainless steel. Any thoughts on this?

I am having them clean up all of the wiring by moving the original fuse box etc from the starboard stern into the console. Cleaning all of that up will make fly fishing for stipers so much easier. Wont have to deal with everything catching my line.

I am also having them install a bilge pump in the well, something that I have ben meaning to do for years.

Finally, there are a few dings in the hull from coming up against docks a little too hard, so they are going to re gelcoat those small areas.

Cant wait to get out there.

Bob

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

One more item. I have two aluminum props from the old Johnson 88 SPL that is being replaced. They are in great shape. Can they be used with the new motor? As spares?

Bob

crbenny

Postby crbenny » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 am

You want the 17" inch Viper. It's worth more than 2 aluminum props. The performance difference is significant and the fact that you're mounting 2 holes up MANDATES that you run a cupped stainless prop.

Yes, the medium gearcase props from your old motor will work on a 20" long shaft E-tec 90. As I'm only 99% sure, check that they have 13 spline hubs.

One other thing, if you have time, buy a sheet of HDPE maybe 5/8" thick. It can be purchased cheap on Ebay for maybe $25. Place the sheet on the transom bracket (outboard side) and trace out the bracket shape. Cut yourself a transom pad. It cuts very easily with a power skill saw. Then take a holesaw and cut some discs the size of the inboard transom bolt washers. If this makes any sense, the engine will be mounted on HDPE instead of on the boat. The transom is convex and the transom bracket is straight. This will remove some stress and help isolate some of the vibration. I added this after a year of running with the motor mounted directly on the boat. It helps. And it will save you somewhat from future stress cracks. I don't have pictures of this or I'd post them. I did the whole thing after the engine was mounted and it only took an hour. You'll be tracing and cutting without the motor mounted and you can hand the pieces to installer.

Chris

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:29 am

When I purchased my new 2015 E-TEC H.O., I had an older but good stainless steel propeller from a previous engine. My Evinrude dealer said new the E-TEC engine runs too hot for older style (rubber) hub bushing and indicated eventually old one could fail. I got new VIPER propeller for this motor. The VIPER propeller has great bite and top end. A extra or spare propeller would be nice. I am glad I went the VIPER propeller.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 pm

I don't think the E-TEC engine "runs too hot". The engine temperature of the E-TEC on my boat when on plane is actually quite cool, running around 120°F. The engine temperature really is not what would cause a problem with a propeller hub. The problem with melting a propeller hub is due to the heat of the exhaust gases passing through the hub and the amount of cooling water flowing with them.

For a long time the Evinrude V6 engine gear cases have had a feature to increase cooling of exhaust gases before the hot exhaust passes through the through-the-hub passage of the propeller exhaust path. There is a fitting attached to the underside of the anti-ventilation plate which has two purposes. One is to act as a trim tab for steering forces to help mitigate the tendency for a propeller to impart some turning force on the boat, and the other is to act as a water pick-up to add additional cooling water into the exhaust passage going to the propeller through-the-hub exit.

If using a propeller with a lot of blade rake--often done on really high speed boats--the trim tab fitting may interfere with the propeller blades and has to be removed. This removes some of the extra cooling water from the exhaust passage through the propeller. Of course, this usually is done on boats where the operator wants to run at maximum throttle for long runs, and the result is just when you need extra cooling there is none.

Also, with the Evinrude E-TEC there are several options for cooling water inlet screens which can be used to increase cooling water intake. The newer M2 or Magnum 2 gear case comes standard with inlet screens that are characterized as Ultra High Flow inlet screens. There are options for very high speed boats and for boats with severely aerated water; there is even an option for less flow.

Also on the E-TEC the newer M2 gear case has water pick-up holes right at the nose cone of the propeller hub, and when running on plane there is plenty of cooling water available. As I mentioned, my E-TEC runs quite cold when operating above 2,000-RPM.

I don't think there is any sort of prohibition from Evinrude against using a propeller with a rubber hub with an E-TEC. As far as I know, and from my own experience in using an E-TEC with a propeller with a rubber hub--and an old propeller at that--there is nothing unusual about the exhaust temperature from the E-TEC that would dictate rubber hubs must not be used.

There have been cases of problems with propeller hub failures due to high temperature in the exhaust on the E-TEC (and other engines) when the engine is run at an elevated mounting height, the engine is run for long periods at full-throttle, and the engine is in the very highest range of horsepower, such as the 250 H.O. or 300-HP models. Those situations are ones where the heat and volume of the exhaust gases may drive up the temperatures in the exhaust passage, and there may not be enough cooling water coming from that anti-ventilation pick-up to help with the cooling.

Evinrude made propellers for the E-TEC for years with a rubber hub bushing. The VIPER TBX propeller now uses the TBX torque bushing which is a plastic (probably nylon) part. The VIPER has some blade rake and it require the trim-tab/water-pick-up to be removed. I can't say for certain.

Nylon hubs can melt, too, if the exhaust is too hot. I don't know how the melting temperature for rubber and nylon compare in the specific case of the materials used in older unspecified rubber-hub propellers and the material used in the TBX hub. A random comparison of melting temperatures from random source shows:

MATERIAL    MELTING POINT

Nylon 6 428°F
Nylon 66 509°F

Rubber 160 to 180°F

To say that rubber melts at a lower temperature than nylon is probably a reasonably safe statement.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 pm

rlboeri wrote:Jim--How the heck do you find the time to reply to everyone's posts in such detail? You are amazing.

Bob--it is winter, we are snowed in, I only work a couple days a week now, I drink too much coffee. What can I say? Oh, and I completely cut-the-cord on cable TV a few weeks ago, so no more re-runs of MIGHTY SHIPS or DEADLIEST CATCH to watch now.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 pm

"The engine temperature really is not what would cause a problem with a propeller hub. The problem with melting a propeller hub is due to the heat of the exhaust gases passing through the hub and the amount of cooling water flowing with them."

I agree...I believe that's what my dealer was referring to as the exhaust passes through the prop hub (bushing).

And

"I don't think there is any sort of prohibition from Evinrude against using a propeller with a rubber hub with an E-TEC. As far as I know, and from my own experience in using an E-TEC with a propeller with a rubber hub--and an old propeller at that--there is nothing unusual about the exhaust temperature from the E-TEC that would dictate rubber hubs must not be used."

I offered what I was told by my dealer and followed his recommendation as I figured he knew a lot more about this new motor than I did. Perhaps the new E-TEC exhaust is hotter than older ones, I don't know.

Thinking and knowing for certain are the operatives...I wouldn't want my hub to fail when I'm pulling the grandkids on their inner tube, or fishing offshore, so I paid the man up front to hopefully minimize or eliminate a potential failure.

My $0.02. Your turn.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:59 pm

I already am in for more than two cents. See my remarks above.

As for why Evinrude changed to TBX, there is another good reason: it makes their propeller fit on many different engines. From a manufacturing perspective, there is just one series of propellers to keep in stock, and their fit on various engines is determined by choosing the proper hubkit and thrust washer. That means less inventory for everyone to stock and a potential larger market selling propellers for other brands.

Also, the TBX is a really nice hub kit for a replaceable hub. I like its fit better than the much older design of the Mercury FLO-TORQ.

Rubber is still a good material for propeller hubs. The recitation of one dealer's remark is not evidence that Evinrude has a campaign to prohibit use of rubber hubbed propellers. If there were such a policy it would be clearly stated in the owner's manuals, in the pre-rigging and delivery manuals, and other places.

As for this being something only affecting the newest models, I downloaded the operator's guide for the newest model E-TEC 150-HP engine as a PDF file. I searched the document for the word "rubber". The word only occurs in one place. It occurs in a section about fuel requirements, as a caution to "be aware of deterioration of rubber or plastic parts" from using blended fuels containing ethanol and gasoline. (See page 19 of the user guide.) If Evinrude had decided that propellers with rubber hubs must not be used with an E-TEC, they would be expected to provide the operator with this information in the operator's guide. There is no mention of this in the section of the operator's guide on propellers. Also, the illustration in that section shows a propeller that does not use a TBX hub being installed on the E-TEC.

I think Maverick's dealer sold a new propeller after he told the customer his old one with a rubber hub might not work. It is not a bad idea to fit a new propeller with a new engine. Since the new propeller uses a TBX hub with a nylon torsion bushing, it is probably less likely to suffer a problem from hot exhaust.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks again to everyone for your very valuable input. I will be going with the stainless Viper and holding on to one of my older aluminum props from the 88 SPL as an emergency back up. Great site, great help, great boating.

Bob

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Bob, a pleasure likewise.

You'll really enjoy that 17...it's versatile, fast, fun. I always learn something from the nice folks here. Keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Safe boating my friend, and Best Regards. Mav

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:42 am

One final note. I just called BRP customer service to ask about the interchangeability of the prop from the old Johnson 88 SPL on the new E-Tec (as an emergency spare only). As indicated earlier in the thread, they said that yes it would fit, however the rubber in the hub may be damaged because the exhaust gas exiting the new E-Tec is hotter than the old 88 SPL. OK I guess. Still going to carry it as the spare. It is in perfect shape. Will sell the one that I am currently using as a spare (also in good shape). I will post photos of the boat/motor as soon as I get it back from Eagle Marine.

Bob

Goesinsnow

Postby Goesinsnow » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:23 am

So do you like your new E-TEC?
Do you or anyone else have pic's of one mounted on a 17 with it 2 holes up?
How is that Viper 17 working for you?
I'm doing the same thing and just went to have it all in order for when my hull is done.
Thanks.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:37 am

Haven't got it back yet. All mechanical and wiring work has been completed and Eagle Marine did an in-water test run. They are now repairing some minor dings in the gel coat. Hope to get it back next week. Still a bit cold up here for a test drive, but cant wait. I will post photos as soon as I get the boat back.

Bob

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Bob- slight chance of a Nor'easter Sunday.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 am

Hi All! Hope that you all are enjoying the summer.

I finally got the re-powered 1988 Montauk in the water for the first time with the new Evinrude E-TEC 90. Un-freaking-believable! It is incredibly smooth, has enormous amounts of torque, almost silent, no smoke, and scary fast. I was fishing on Lake Cochichuate in MA (not my first choice for a shakedown cruise, but the brother-in-law wanted to go freshwater fishing). Ninety degree day, no wind, flat calm. These are not the conditions that I usually encounter when in the salt, but a great test. Because of the level of boating on the lakes I didn't get a chance to full throttle it for very long, but at 5300 rpm and with no chance to play around with the trim, the new Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 read 50.2 mph!! [Later corrected to be 40.2-MPH; see below.--jimh] The old Johnson 88 SPL could get her up to about 42, but no higher. Amazing ride. I got her up to that speed twice. The motor plus SS Viper prop are amazing. Can't wait to get her out on the salt this week end and see what she can do. I am glad that I didn't go for the 90 HO (saved about $800) as this has all of the get up and go that I need. I see no problem with pulling skiers out of the water.

I believe that moving the battery into the console (resting on the deck through a cut out in the shelf) also made a huge difference in getting on plane. The new bilge pump works great and the newly installed battery switch means that I don't have to worry about a dead battery at the ramp like I used to. The Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 blows me away. It has way more capabilities than I have figured out yet. Time to sit down with the manual again and test everything out. Even at 50 mph, the transducer was giving crystal clear bottom images. Not like the old Hummingbird unit (anyone want a used Paramount 500 for $100?). With Jim's help I also connected the Lowrance to the radio and now have the DSC providing GPS location, something of a comfort in case of disaster.

Also spent a fair amount of time gelcoating old transom holes, compounding and waxing the hull, and varnishing the RPS seat back. Always an Adventure has never looked so good. Thanks to everyone for your extremely helpful suggestions regarding the upgrades. I would have been way more nervous about doing all of this without your counsel. I will update everyone again once AaA is splashed into the salt.

Happy boating,

Bob

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Bob--very glad to hear about your new motor! 50-MPH is admirable and exhilarating in a 17.

Along with this exceptional performance, you'll also note with a smile a nice savings on fuel and oil too! GREAT CHOICE.

With that extra gale force wind, be sure your hat doesn't blow off and sink. I lost a nice CBS Sports hat like that. Had it been a Whaler hat it would've stayed afloat until I turned around for rescue and recovery, hah!

Congrats and Best Regards, my friend. Mav

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Not trying to throw mud on this, but 50 mph is a little fast, if not the fastest Montauk with 3 cylinder power at 5300 RPM. Most users (myself included) are getting low 40's with the standard E-TEC 90; to see this makes me scratch my head. I would believe 40-MPH.

Did you run a reciprocal course?

Can you share exactly your setup (propeller dimensions), which hole (below shows 2-holes-up), set-back, jack plate, gearing, loading. etc.?

I would love to set up my Montauk with E-TEC 90 EXACTLY like yours if 50-MPH at 5300-RPM is the result!

Based on the numbers you gave, I could guesstimate you have a setback or jackplate and your running high, turning a 21P Viper with 5% slip, which is theoretical, but on the fringe. Now if you had a E-TEC 90 H.O., then the numbers make much more sense with standard mounting and a 21P Viper. (http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/)

o
o
o <- this mounting is 2 holes up
o

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:12 am

Considering the number of people who have re-powered a MONTAUK with an E-TEC 90 and reported their top speed, a report of 50-MPH is certainly an outlier.

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Guys,

No mud at all, I appreciate the input as always. I did not get to run a reciprocal course due to time restraints. I did run at WOT twice for very short runs, and again, this was absolutely flat calm, 90 degrees, with no wind. Also a brand new Lowrance HDS-7 Touch Gen 2 that I was trying to get familiar with. No setback or jackplate. I will verify the prop and height tonight when I get home. I will take photos of the setup. I am planning on splashing her in the salt this week end, but I expect some chop and thus lower speeds due to comfort. I may be able to bring it back to the lake again and give it a real test.

Believe me, I thought 50.0 mph was unbelievably fast. My brother-in-law was hanging on for dear life. Made me laugh and smile from ear to ear.

I will attempt verification soon. Maybe I was reading the Lowrance incorrectly?

Bob

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:11 am

Hi All,

Well, I finally got a chance to put the newly repowered Montauk thru her paces. Your skepticism at my claimed 50.2 mph was well founded. I thought I would get back to you all since you have been such great help.

The misreporting was the result of unfamiliarity with my new Lowrance HDS-7 Touch and my enthusiasm for the new motor. Turns out that top end is actually around 40.2 mph. I have made several two way runs on relatively calm water, no wind days to verify this. Had about 25 gallons of fuel aboard, myself and my son, and a small amount of fishing gear in addition to the usual safety equipment.

The motor is mounted two holes up and is swinging a 13 7/8 by 19 inch stainless steel Viper prop. Unbelievable pick up and go. The acceleration is admirable. I am very pleased with the new motor. It uses very little oil and I love the fact that i don't have to mix it with each fill up. The reservoir is great. No idea as to MPG yet, but I suspect that it is much better than the old 88 SPL. I also love the tilt switch located on the motor. No more walking back and forth. I cant find anything about the motor to complain about.

I am still learning the Lowrance HDS-7 Touch, but it is also amazing. Way more capability than I could possible use. Makes both navigation and fishing a breeze. Highly recommended. And following Jim's advice, it is interfaced with the Standard Horizon VHF and will nor automatically broadcast my position when sending a mayday by DSC (hopefully never to be used!).

I also purchased a used console mounted rod holder from a Whaler owner whose boat was wrecked. Mounted them along with new seat back cushions. They make it much more comfortable for passengers sitting on the cooler seat.

So that is about it. I appreciate everyone's help with advice and comments. I am having a ball again taking her out for fishing and excursions. I am at a loss because I cant think of anything else I want to purchase for the boat. She is fully decked out. any thoughts (my wife will kill me)?

Thanks again. Talk to you all soon.

Bob

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Start a new thread discussing your trailer. I have a few ideas for ya! :)
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003