Mercury 115hp Pro XS

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Masbama

Mercury 115hp Pro XS

Postby Masbama » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:19 am

Is [the Mercury 115-HP ProXS] engine a two-stroke-cycle or four-stroke-cycle? In the past the Pro XS engines were two strokes but this looks like the 115-HP is four-stroke-cycle. I could not find the answer on [an unspecified] website.

jimh

Re: Mercury 115hp Pro XS

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:35 am

Mercury renamed most of their engines they used to call OptiMax engines to be called ProXS engines.

On the website for Mercury Marine, I found a mention that the ProXS 115-HP model has an overhead cam. That makes no sense as a two-cycle-engine. I guess we have another situation of Mercury using some confusing nomenclature for their engines, that is, apparently the ProXS designation means anything they like it to mean, and ProXS engines are no longer re-badged OptiMax engines.

If you use the comparison tool on the Mercury Marine website to compare the ProXS 115 engine to the FOURSTROKE 115 engine, you will see that every specification is identical. On that basis, I would infer the engines are identical, and the new marketing promotion of the engine as a ProXS engine is some sort of campaign to establish the ProXS branding as moving away from the OptiMax branding and into four-stroke-cycle engines. The inference I get from the ProXS branding is that Mercury is trying to attach some sort of association and prestige from their racing division engines onto their consumer grade engines.

The best differentiator will be the price. If the ProXS 115 engine can sell at a higher price than the FOURSTROKE 115 engine with identical specifications, then the marketing and branding strategy will have succeeded.

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, this is a four stroke cycle engine.

Last week when the ProXS 115 Fourstroke was introduced, I spoke with a tech rep at Mercury Marine and asked how this engine differed from the standard 115 FourStroke. I was told that engine management software had been re-mapped to provide more power across a wider rpm band, and peak HP of roughly 125 HP with a higher available peak rpm (6300 rpm.) The price difference over the standard 115 Fourstroke is modest -- I believe something on the order of a few hundred dollars.

By the way, Mercury now offers three versions of this engine platform with the Command Thrust gearcase. There is the 115 SeaPro (max 5000-5500 rpm); 115 FourStroke CT (max 5000-6000 rpm); and 115 ProXS Fourstroke CT (max 5300-6300 rpm.)

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:06 am

In addition to a higher max rpm it also has a lower gear ratio.

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Masbama wrote:In addition to a higher max rpm it also has a lower gear ratio.

I'm not sure that's the case with respect to the other versions of this engine family (if that's what you were saying -- it's not clear to me??) According to the specs provided on the Mercury Marine website, the standard and CT gear cases offered with the new 115 ProXS FourStroke have the same gear ratios as the respective gear cases offered in the other variants of this engine. But if you have some additional information on this question please share it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Is there any difference between these 115-HP Mercury four-stroke-cycle outboard engines of various model designators in terms of their compliance with EPA or CARB or European Union exhaust gas emission?

If there were some sort of real difference in the engine power or tuning or torque, you might see a difference in the emission rating or the power specifications used in those ratings. Generally the emission rating power data is more revealing than the cowling decal. If everything is the same, then the only certainty that you get something for the higher price is you get different cowling decals and a promise of more power.